It Was Time | Teen Ink

It Was Time

By Becks4 SILVER, Canaan, Vermont
Becks4 SILVER, Canaan, Vermont

"LIfe moves pretty fast. If you dont stop and look around every once in a while, you might miss it."

Friendship. There is no right or wrong way to define it. All there is is a solid truth. When someone is a friend, it is beyond anything else. A rock has been driven between too people and there it sits. Sometimes gravity takes over and the rock falls. It slips and crashes to the ground, shattering as no rock should be able to. When this happens, the two people lose their balance for a second, have a brief moment of indecision as a breath is taken.
Breath in.
Exhale.
The stare is broken; the spell is broken. Sometimes, they may tentatively crawl down the cliff to where the rock lays shattered on the ground. They may attempt to glue it back together, but it will never be the exact same. There may be a few cracks or holes left in the boulder but it will be otherwise intact.
Other times, the two people will just turn away from each other, finding a new path to venture on. They will turn away with tears in their eyes, memories in their minds, and sadness in their hearts, but they will turn. It was time. The good old times are now the past. There is no future for this pair. The break apart leaves them both raw, bitter, but that too will soon pass. Ten, twenty years from now, they will remember the old times foggily as if viewed from miles away. They laughed; they cried; they hugged; they ate lots of food together but when it was over, it was over. There was nothing left for them but to stare over the edge of the cliff at the ruined remains of what once was, turn away from it all and forge a new path.