Hooker | Teen Ink

Hooker

January 16, 2012
By amur324 BRONZE, Danbury, Connecticut
amur324 BRONZE, Danbury, Connecticut
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Do you know what it is like to live in a society where all odds are against you? Welcome to the world of left-handedness! For centuries, 'lefties' were typically ostracized from society. Many cultures even thought being left handed was a sign of the devil! Over time, language and culture all over the world has favored right-handedness. For instance, in the English language, the word right is associated with the words correct, true, logically sound, morally right. The word left is denoted as radical, underhanded, awkward, differing from traditional values. Right-handed people often do not realize the difficulties of a left-handed person, so here is a look into my world.

From the start of my schooling, I remember wondering why the way I wrote was different from the rest of my classmates. My dad told me it was because I was more creative and more imaginative since left-hand control is governed by the right hemisphere of the brain. In Kindergarten, when my teacher taught us how to write the alphabet, she did not allow for the differences of left-handed students: 'lefties' push to write; whereas, 'righties' pull to write. In first grade, when I learned how to use a computer I was disadvantaged because the mouse was on the right-hand side of the keyboard. While the other students learned to count money via computer games, I struggled to use the mouse. In second grade, it became obvious that I could not sit at the right side of a table. I would bump elbows with the students next to me in art class, get the death stare, and be blamed for ruining their self-proclaimed masterpieces. In third grade, my teacher yelled at me for being a "sloppy cutter," not realizing that I was a 'lefty' and all the scissors in the classroom were for 'righties.' In fourth grade, I struggled playing the recorder; whereas, other students had no problem mimicking the teacher’s instructions to cover up the tiny holes with their right hands.

As I grew up, I realized that not only were 'lefties' at a disadvantage in school, but they were also at a disadvantage in everyday life. I found that every item and concept, such as car shifts, camera buttons, binders, rulers, instruments and even the side of the road driven on, favor right-handed people.

All these experiences of adjusting to the norms of a right-handed society have made me ambidextrous. I first learned to bounce a ball in gym with my right hand. Since then, I have become a dominant 'righty’ in sports, whether it be hitting, throwing, and catching in softball or hitting and serving in volleyball.

Hands down, the most important skill I have learned is slanting my paper when I write, so I do not acquire lead marks all over my arm. I have mastered the art of 'lefty' writing by hooking my arm over the paper. I guess I will live the rest of my life as a hooker!

The author's comments:
This is my college essay. I hope it gives you a laugh! Enjoy!