My Inspirations | Teen Ink

My Inspirations

January 8, 2012
By Redsox44girl BRONZE, Gray, Maine
Redsox44girl BRONZE, Gray, Maine
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The summer three years ago began an experience that would change my life. Applying, having an interview and, finally, being accepted into the Maine Medical Center Junior Volunteer summer program, started my journey into the medical world. Having the opportunity to interact with people from days after their birth to the older more mature, gave me more compassion and love. It gave me longing to help the needy. Volunteering has been something that has been close to my heart throughout my High School experience.

I remember walking into the massive hospital on my first day of volunteering, the summer before my freshmen year, being nervous and anxious. As the day concluded, I knew the hospital was something that I was coming to love. When most people think of the hospital, they don’t think of it as a fond place. However, when I think of the hospital, I think of all the good they are doing along with all the children who are staying on the Barbara Bush floor for either a short stay or sometimes even months. These are the children who gave me a new perspective on life. I had the honor of being with these children every Friday night throughout the school year of 2010-2011. I really got to know each child on a personal level because many of them were there every Friday night. No matter how sick they were, they always had a smile on their face. These children really opened my eyes. Whenever I think I’m having a bad day, I take a moment and think because these children are fighting for their life. The love that they showed me gave me more compassion to help and be there for them. Many would think that I had a bigger impact on them, but I truly believe that they had a bigger impact on me. Before, when I would see a child with a disability, I may have not thought twice but now I have more compassion and understanding for those children. The children are there to receive medical attention, but I was there to help make their experience more enjoyable and, in return, they changed my life.

Throughout these last three years, I have had many jobs within the hospital, from showing patients around, delivering clean equipment, stuffing envelopes, to playing with the children. The children were the ones who made me want to go back with an education to continue to help make them stronger. Having the opportunity to interact with people from days after their birth to the older more mature, gave me more compassion, love, and the longing to help the needy. In Carrie Underwood’s song Change she sings, “Don't listen to them when they say. You're just a fool. Just a fool. To believe you can change the world.” These lyrics have had a huge impact on me and my life. They inspire me to continue volunteering and helping those around me.