The Crash

An ordinary morning, that’s all it was. At 7:00 I began my short walk, just two doors down, to my aunt’s house. She was a teacher and her son and I would drive in early with her before school began, as we had done all year. The sun was shining bright and my unadjusted eyes had to squint to see. It was a fairly warm day but with a chilly breeze. I could smell the dew from the grass and hear the constant call and answer of the bird’s chirps. I could still taste my breakfast of cereal and chocolate milk. It was January of my second grade year. I was young, happy, and foolish. Around me only the bright green of the grass and trees, and life was as it should be, good.

As I neared my aunt’s house I noticed her car slowly moving back a few feet, then forward the same distance. Confused I walked up the short but steep hill that her driveway was on. When I was next to the car I saw it wasn’t my aunt driving, but my cousin who was only 4 years older than myself. He had blond hair, blue eyes, and was very intelligent. Yet, I couldn’t understand why he was driving.

“What are you doing?” I asked.

“My mom told me to warm up the car” he replied.

I was too young to realize he had avoided the question entirely. He got out of the car and asked if I wanted to try. I said I didn’t, but he told me it was very easy and started making fun of me. Feeling very nervous I got into the driver’s seat and closed the door. He leaned through the window to control the wheel and put the car in reverse. The car began to roll backwards and I felt more and more anxious. As it got close to the hill he told me to hit the brakes. Absolute terror gripped me then because I was unable to reach them and the car had reached the hill. He began to yell louder for me to hit the brakes but couldn’t. Suddenly my feet found a peddle, and I pressed it down as hard as I could, but the car didn’t slow down. It seemed to speed up. I heard a scream and a loud BANG, then nothing. Silence? What had happened? I seemed to be thinking about everything and nothing at the same time. All at once my senses came back to me. Pain? I had hit my mouth on the steering wheel. Taste of leather? Also from the steering wheel. Smoke? Must be from the car. Then I heard the screaming, a horrible screaming that sounded like a dying animal.

“I’M GONNA DIE!!! PLEASE KILL ME NOW!!!! GOD HELP ME, PLEASE!”

Then I was outside the car. Did I even open the door? Did my feeble legs even support me? And where was the screaming coming from?! I looked up and saw my cousin, covered in blood, screaming and crying. I could see his bone through his leg. The blood was everywhere and I began to cry and scream for help. My legs could no longer support me and I fell. But then I was in my aunt’s house. How did I get here? Did I even fall over? Where was my aunt? I yelled anything to get her to come. She finally wrapped in a towel. Then I heard the screaming again. Somehow I was outside and hear my cousin, wanting to die, and saw the blood that covered the street, and felt the pain in my mouth and head. I cried, and when I looked up, I was in my house. I ran to the window. Police cars and ambulances were everywhere. Across the street from my aunt’s house war her car, smashed into my neighbors front porch. My senses were gone. My heart seemed to stop. There was nothing after that.

I.White said...

THIS IS SOOOOOO SAD AND GOOD AND SCARY

Donahue8 replied...
thanks so much! and yea it really was :(

Shmelmo said...
Wow. I really loved this. You have an amazing way of making the words flow together and it just makes me want to keep reading. Nicely done - please keep writing, you are really good. By the way, what happened to your cousin?

Donahue8 replied...
Thank you so much! it means a lot to me! and the car ran over his leg, and his shin bone broke so it was stinking out of his leg. He had to be flown down to the hospital. He could have bled out though so we were really lucky. He's still alive, but he has a huge chunk of skin missing on his leg. He's actually doing really well; he is going to the Naval Academy (it's a college for the navy, like west point) and he is trying to become a pilot.

naughtygirl17 said...

Love dose not even begin to explain how much i enjoyed this. you are and an amazing writer so neveer stop:)

Malina_FDM said...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:16 am
You are very talented!! I love how the words are just so easy flowing-that's a sign of truth. This is great. Keep Writing!!!

Donahue8 replied...
hank you so much!

LivingMYLife said...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:48 am
oh my gosh! this is amazing and actually kinda scary. very intense

Donahue8 replied...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:51 am
Thanks, and yea i was so scared at the time. It still is the worstday of my life.

BeyondTheBrooke replied...
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Donahue8 replied...
:/ yea thanks though

FishboytheWriter said...

Normally, i don't like non-fiction. this is a very uncommon exception.

Your a natural. Keep Writing Donahue.

Donahue8 replied...
thanks :) I will

CautionwetPaint said...
I really like this! It was riveting and kept me interested until the very end where it just kind of drops you. Nicely done :)

Donahue8 replied...
thanks so much!

Hopeful_One said...
I loved it!!! It's so realistic and I bet other crash victoms could relate to it :) 

Donahue8 replied...

haha it's realistic because it's true! but thanks!

RunningFree said...
Nov. 24, 2011 at 8:46 am
I agree that the ending is a bit confusing, but that only added to the speed that I read it, which in turn made it seem more intense.  You can change the ending if you want, but I think it's just as powerful as it is.  You had great imagery throughout the piece, too.  Did he break his femur?

wordjunkie replied...
It was a bit confuzing, but the pain was well described. Good overall :)

Donahue8 replied...
thanks! and yea, I did unfortunatly, he is mussing a huge part of his leg :(