The Right to Read | Teen Ink

The Right to Read

By write-with-light GOLD, Lawrenceville, Georgia
write-with-light GOLD, Lawrenceville, Georgia

"And in that moment, I swear we were infinte..."
"Charlie, we accept the love we think we deserve."
"Promise me that you'll always remember: You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think."

“Words spread across a page in peaceful existence, telling me the story of another. Clever metaphors and silly similes explaining things that cannot be simply said. Clear imagery painting pictures in my head of heated passion, rushing rivers, abandoned, old barns and situations of struggle. All elements of a story. Such a simple pleasure it is to read. Simply moving one’s eyes across a page to comprehend a text. But it is so much more than that. The story of another can take you to worlds previously unfathomable to the mind. It appeals to the senses; it exposes you to knowledge previously unknown. You can see things vividly without ever having to leave the comfort of one’s own little world. You can live vicariously through another’s experiences, or learn to appreciate what you have through someone else’s story of struggle. Reading can transport you when you need a mental rest. It reminds you that you are not alone. One day, I hope to inspire others with what my mind creates. Every day, I am thankful for the right to read.”

I think all readers can understand