Where is my Mind? | Teen Ink

Where is my Mind?

October 14, 2011
By Norrisaurus BRONZE, Fairfax, Virginia
Norrisaurus BRONZE, Fairfax, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I’ve hit rewind like 5 times. I just can’t get enough of this song. I don’t know if it’s the just the echo of all the instruments or the girl hauntingly humming in the background. The lyrics are so simple, but they demand a deeper meaning, and I think I’m hooked. I set down my iPod and I take up my guitar. E, C#, G#, A, all bar chords and after a minute, I’ve got the hang of it. “With your feet in the air and your head on the ground” I start shouting. My dad stomps on the upstairs floorboards to tell me to be quiet but whatever; I can’t stop. I scream louder, “Try a loose trick and you spin it, yea!” My finger slips off the E string and makes a nasty sound but I’m not fazed, I’m completely locked into the song by now. “Your head`ll collapse and there’s nothing in it, and you`ll ask yourself!” I slam on the distortion pedal, and it all gets quiet. The twang of the strings is hardly audible as I gently sing, “Where is my mind, where is my mind, w-h-e-r-e is my mind……” It calms me, like every aggravating, embarrassing moment from the past week was just wiped from my memory. This is where my addiction began.


The author's comments:
This is a song by the Pixies and they are the primary reason for me getting into music. They are still my favorite band.