Quick-silver Beat

Watching my friends dance is like watching someone carve a woman out of a block of wood. The intricate shapes emerge one by one and I see them practice from a crude sketch to a polished lady but I cannot fathom how they do it. I watch their bodies contort themselves into beauty and I see joy in their flying feet, but as much as I try I cannot copy them. I am not lacking in flexibility, or strength, I am toned and skinny from stretches and my night runs, so the only explanation I can figure is that I am missing the love. Julian's cut movements and toned arms and abs shape him as a dancer wherever he goes, and Maddy's air-like walk and flowing fingers paint ballet colors in the wind behind her. I stain acrylic on my fingers trying to capture the emotions they conjure with dance-love. It frustrates me that I can feel joy in my fingertips but not in my toes. I tried once to be taught how to dance, and failed miserably to pin the alternatively sharp and smooth motions set to the quick-silver beat. I call it quick-silver because, to my consternation, it eludes me. In return, this friend asked me to teach her how to draw, how to create patchwork quilts of paper imagination. As hard as I tried to show her to make black ink hand prints of her emotions, I could not. So I have decided to let her paint pictures with her body, and I will except my art-love soul.

Jappyalldayeveryday said...
This is nice, though maybe some dialogue could make it better?

hood3243 said...
Nov. 2, 2011 at 11:19 am:
This is very describtive! There were a few errors but those were small. I like how it isn't triditional nonfiction with just an article about a subject but I believe this could also be fiction. Very good!

justsmile164 said...
you're very good at painting a picture in the reader's mind! i liked this :)

Naomi518 said...
wow I really love this! one thing in particular that I like about it is that it's relatable. weather or not you feel it with dance or art, there's always something you're not the best at. I love how you didn't just state things and you described them!

Little.Miss said...

This was nice! There were a few errors: "I will except my art-love soul", should be "I will accept my art-love soul," but don't worry, it happens to all of us.

Anyways, really neat piece!! Keep it up! :)

redz14 said...

You said this was your first non fiction right? Well, it is really good. I really liked the one line "It frustrates me that I can feel joy in my finger tips but not in my toes." Right from that I knew you had to be an artist. You did a good job, but there were some grammar errors. I gave you 5 stars :)