Giving Something Up (For Something Better)

Dear Journal,

1/25/11

I had a school lesson today about hard times, Martin Luther King Jr.’s speech, and I had to ask myself questions such as, “what I would be willing to give up to achieve something that meant something to me?” There are many things I would do and wouldn’t do in a situation where some would stand up and some wouldn’t. For instance, I would not be willing to give up a vehicle for a year in order to protest against the oil company’s profits. I wouldn’t do that because I don’t agree with taking away other tax payers’ pay checks if it is fueling our vehicles. Now, if I were to boy-cot car driving for the sake of less pollution, that I could stand behind, because that would serve the whole world for the better.

If I had to pick a few causes that I would be willing to take action to promote awareness and help foster change, I would choose ending human trafficking and some other noble stuff. Three items I would be willing to give up to show my support to a cause or to show my commitment would be food (a fast) or just one type of something (juice, meat, sugar, etc.), I would be willing to give up my internet and tv so that those bills could help fund that cause, and last I would be willing to give up my life if it meant that the cause would totally end, otherwise, my last would be my free time so that I can use that to support and educate others about the cause.

My whole life I have sacrificed something for a principle. I don’t really see this as a sacrifice, but many do. I have committed myself to purity. Dating is against my beliefs and so is kissing and sex before marriage. I want to be courted (which is kind of like dating) and until then I am just God’s and I am okay with that. I have had to say no too many guys though, but I have found that many respect you for it. Also, my mom is a single mom and she works very hard and very often at her job and I have forfeited public school for homeschool because my family needs me at home. These things are a great privilege to me and I am very grateful to be able to give things up to purpose an even greater cause.
Thank you again Journal for letting me share,

Courtney