Mommy | Teen Ink

Mommy

By emilyjoe DIAMOND, Algonquin, Illinois
emilyjoe DIAMOND, Algonquin, Illinois

"What if the person in the puddle is real, and you're just a reflection?" -Calvin & Hobbes

My Mommy was meant to be a Mommy. Because each of the three children that she had need a different piece of her. I need my Mommy’s courage. I need my Mommy’s strength. Sometimes I just need my 5 foot tall Mommy to hold my 5 foot 5 inch body, and never let go. I need my Mommy’s laughter. I need my Mommy’s words. I need my Mommy’s heart. I need my Mommy. Because she gave up her youth for me. She grew up too fast for me. She herself just an innocent child, my Mommy made room for me. There’s some things my Mommy can’t give me. And I spent so long being angry because I craved those things from her. But I know now that all my Mommy can give, she has given. And the things she can’t give me, I need from other people. But Mommy already did her job. My Mommy gave me, me.

The 2011 Teen Ink New York Wriitng Program inspired me to write this. During this trip, I realized many things about myself and my family. And all of it was because of some of the amazing people that I met in NYC. Thank you, Tinkers!