Something About Me | Teen Ink

Something About Me

Everybody has a career in mind and the only way to achieve that goal is by getting an education. Education is the foundation of where you are headed for the future. No education, no career, no money, no happiness. Out of five of my siblings I am going to be the first one to graduate. I’m a motivated person thanks to my sisters encouraging me down the right path and not to make the same mistakes as they have. College is important to everyone because it opens their eyes up to reality. I am determined to be successful in the business field. Hopefully one day I will become an accountant and move on to being an entrepreneur. I will learn how to be independent and how to do things on my own. College might be a challenge but it will pay off in the end.

My older sister Valerie has impacted my goals for the future. She dropped out of high school which is the worst mistake anyone can make. Without a diploma you can’t get into a good college. All of my sisters have not graduated this has influenced me to become someone. She always tells me if I want to move out to Arizona and live with her so I can start off my life and go to a college over there. My sister Jackie has impacted my life because she has gone down the wrong path for too long. Fifteen years ago my family moved from Chicago to Oak Lawn so my sisters could go to a better school. Ten years ago she met the love of her life and she left everything behind just to be with him. She left work, school and her family. She left us after five years of being with him and she moved away to Texas. I remember when I was in eighth grade she called me out of surprise because she would never call. She told me she would be here for my eighth grade graduation but she never came. No one can understand the feeling of having no contact with someone who is a part of your family. Jackie has influenced my goals because she has showed me how rough her life was without graduating. She could not find a decent job and I have realized how much my parents have done for her to succeed and she didn’t take advantage of what she had. I have been motivated to be the change in my family and study in the business field.

I am interested in the business field. I like the idea of making lots of money! There are a variety of jobs to choose from. I am interested in being an accountant because they are helpful to everyone. I have the motivation because I am not going to sit around and let any chances pass me up. I’ve learned you have to take a chance when you have everything you need right in front of you. My sisters took school for granted and they did not think about how it would affect their futures. A quality of mine that would be helpful is being bilingual. I would be able to assist customers in Spanish which really does make a difference. Customers would trust me more because the company where you work would have better customer service. My father is bilingual and he used to work on a catering truck for thirty years. That was his job since he was fourteen and being bilingual made him more successful because he was able to communicate better with customers. He would always tell me stories about how he would wake up at 3 in the morning just to go help his dad. He grew up in Pilsen and had a rough time growing up. He always has a bunch of crazy stories to tell me.

All the time he tells me “You don’t know how good you have it. You get to do whatever you want; you live in a good neighborhood and go to a good school”.

“Things are different now”. Is how I always reply.

My dad always tells me he wishes he took advantage of school more and got a better career. He encourages me to be whatever I want. I will show him I have what it takes to become an entrepreneur. I’m a hard worker and I have high expectations. If something needs to get done I try to get it done as soon as possible. If someone is going to do something you have to do it right the first time. No one can be a procrastinator. I would be the boss and keep everybody in check. The hard part about being an entrepreneur would be expenses coming out of your own pocket but if your business is successful expenses won’t be a problem. He has taught me you have to work hard for what you want to achieve in life. If you want something you have to chase after it. I want to take after his footsteps and prove to him I have control of handling my own business. Even if it’s a small restaurant or a big company. I’ll be ready one day!

In conclusion, these personal stories are examples of why I am who I am. Everything in life makes us who we are. Learning how to deal with certain situations is what shapes everybody’s attitude and qualities. I’ve seen how important it is to graduate so I am going to stay motivated and do the best that I can. Also taking advice from my dad and listening to his outlook on life will make me successful. Anybody can do whatever they want as long as they have the motivation. Never let anyone tell you that you can’t do something. Always take advantage of every chance you get to succeed in life. I’m a motivated hard worker and any college would love to have a student like me.