One of Those Situations | Teen Ink

One of Those Situations

It was one of those situations that made you feel five different emotions at once, where one small change of events could make or break your day. And if one big change happened, it could make or break your week—month—year. It was one of those situations that brought you closer, yet a little further away. You all agree on a truce, act like it’s nbd.

But it’s one of those situations where, if the truce ends up becoming tested, cautiously tried out like a newly built bridge— two of you will be underneath when the whole thing falls apart. And one—one of you on top. The truce said the other two wouldn’t mind, wouldn’t be angry.

But it was one of those situations where you may say something, but deep down you are feeling a whole different way. Even if you were the one who was the lucky one, the happy one, wouldn’t you feel, deep down, some shame? A nagging feeling? Knowing you are happy, yes; but the other two are crushed under that unsteady falseness of a truce.

It was one of those situations where there was no clear solution. If it was one, the other two were devastated. If it was none—well, how could any three girls who all liked the same boy so much stop liking him?

It was one of those situations where we all knew, deep down, it would probably never truly work in our friendship. It would tangle and twist and bend it until we were forcing smiles and looking on with heated jealousy at the other, who got the boy of her dreams.

It was one of those situations that end with no punctuation

I wrote this based on me and two of my best friends. But I wanted to make it general enough to apply to many different situations, not just ours. I hope you enjoy!

P.S. We are all still best friends today. :)