I Love You? | Teen Ink

I Love You?

By DifferentTeen PLATINUM, Seaford, Delaware
DifferentTeen PLATINUM, Seaford, Delaware

"There’s no such thing as true love, just spurts of insanity—falling over and over again, thinking that won’t happen to me"

My mother and I. We have a strange relationship. Sometimes we can have a good time together. But most of the time I find myself disagreeing with her. The way she thinks is just so absurd. My friends think I'm crazy. For dealing with her rules, but for me if I don't it's like I'm defying God.
I'm not allowed to have a phone, which for many reasons can be proved wrong. For example, she yelled at me for not calling her, which could have been simply solved if I had a cell phone. She thinks I'm a defiant child when I get almost straight A's, I never get into trouble, and I'm usually at home on the weekends. When most of my friends are out, and on school nights too.
I don't want to say I hate my mom but sometimes I just get so frustrated with her, it just comes as a thought. But if I ever said that, my mom would probably scream at me. I feel like she doubts everything I do, and everything I do isn't good enough for her. I'm on honor roll, in honor classes, but she wants me to do cheer leading. That's just not who I am. I'm in NJHS and she wants me to play Cross Country. Sometimes I don't think she understands how hard it is to juggle both a school life and a home life separately. And how hard I work to be the way I am. I could just be some failure that doesn't have a care in the world. About anything. I could sit in my room and not tell her anything about my life. But I do anyway. Because I don't want that kind of family life. I don't wan to be miserable and un-happy.
My mother is not very accepting. She needs to understand, this is a different time. Things aren't the same as they were when she was a kid. If you think about it, a phone could save a life these days. At the same time, I understand the lack of importance of a cell phone.
Overall, I'd say we have a good mother-daughter relationship. But its most definitely not like that of my friends. I wish it were but its not. I don't tell her every single detail of my private life, most of them are too inappropriate for my age anyway.
Lately I feel like we've been drifting apart, and I don't like it. It's not like what it used to be. Everything's so different now. But one thing is the same, I love my mom. And no matter what struggles we face, I will always love her.

Dedicated to my mother, who likes to prove me wrong everytime. We can overcome anything. I love you, mom.

xXxdancing_for_rainxXx, San Pedro, California
I could relate a lot to this article... my mother and I don't have a very good relationship. It's difficult for me to hear other people talk about having good relationships with their parents, since that's something I've never known. I am so glad that you love her so much through all this. That's great :) Stay strong x