Habits of Mind Gym | Teen Ink

Habits of Mind Gym

By Hersheydog1326 GOLD, Fairfield, Connecticut
Hersheydog1326 GOLD, Fairfield, Connecticut

This year in gym I learned how to use all of the Habits of Mind. Each one has its own completely different “Personality”. I learned how to use the Habit of Mind Persisting in project adventure when I was climbing the ladder. All I was thinking was that I could make it to the top. By doing this I was persisting. I learned how to use the Habit of Mind Listening with understanding and empathy in the Fitness room. I did this by Listening to all of the instructions without causing attention to me or anyone around me.

I learned how to use the Habit of Mind Thinking Flexibly in the fitness room. I for one am not a big fan of the steppers, but I used this habit of mind and made them fun by using this time as a talking time to the person next to me. I learned how to use the Habit of Mind Questioning and problem posing in Project Adventure when I was putting on my harness. I made sure to ask questions so I would put it on correctly. I learned how to use the Habit of Mind Creating, imagining, and innovating when we were in the fitness room. I used this habit when I was using the half ball. Instead of balancing on the ball side I flipped it over and tried to balance on the flat side. This gave me a challenge and I got to try something new.

I learned how to use the Habit of Mind Strive for accuracy in both the fitness room and in project adventure. I used it in the fitness room when I was/am working on the machines. I strived to do 15 perfect repetitions. In Project Adventure I strived to complete whatever we were working on. I learned how to use the Habit of Mind Applying Past Knowledge to New Situations in the Fitness Room. I used this habit when we first started in the fitness room. I applied my knowledge from last year on how to work on the machines. I learned how to use the Habit of Mind Remaining Open to Continuous Learning in the Fitness Room. I used it when we were learning how to use new machines.

I learned how to use the Habit of Mind Finding humor in both the project adventure room and the fitness room. In the project adventure room I would laugh at myself when I could not get up the ladder/wall/caterpillar thing. In the fitness room I laughed at how bad I was at DDR (Dance Dance Revolution).

In gym this year as you can see I used the habits of mind. I think that the habits of mind are very important to know because we use them every day and the more of them we know the more we will do. Thank you.