The Skirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

WritingAddict03This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 11:51 pm
Wow! This is wonderful! I feel like in our society we often forget the importance of modesty. Dressing modestly helps you people to be attracted to you because of who you are, and not because of revealing clothes. This piece reminds people to be themselves and not worry about what others think of their attire. Thanks so much for putting this out there! I think this is a message the world needs.

EswzemThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 5 at 11:55 am
Wow. Amazing story. I absolutely love how it's so relatable, and makes a very good point. We should be who we are, and nothing more, nothing less. Don't step of your comfort zone to "fit in." You fit in as you are, because you are YOU.

HereSheIsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 4 at 8:36 pm
That is me and a lot of other girls I know. We can't all be Cinderellas transformed by a nice outfit, and yours is pretty much the only piece of writing that has talked about that, and in a beautiful way too

invisible_to_all said...
May 4 at 3:19 pm
good job keep writing

AditiVibgyor said...
Feb. 27 at 8:21 am
Wow ...this is so much me.

invisible_to_all replied...
May 4 at 3:19 pm
Yea it's just like me as well.

Kalianah_Wogoman said...
Jul. 1, 2016 at 12:47 am
The ending was so relatable. You are awesome at writing!! Nice job.

Kalianah_Wogoman said...
Jul. 1, 2016 at 12:47 am

samdawg said...
Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:38 am
I can relate! Nice work.

WriterExpert7This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nice writing-style!

throwinshayde said...
so so good. we have all had these moments in some way or another

madisonmarkley said...
Mar. 3, 2016 at 10:18 am
I really like this story. It's so important to be yourself and not try to impress others by doing something you're not comfortable with.

sami98 said...
Feb. 19, 2016 at 8:57 am
I really relate to this

BigRed said...
Feb. 19, 2016 at 8:16 am
Too many people worry about there image today, more people need to be like you.

Elaineshao This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 14, 2016 at 4:25 am
i like it. this story is really fun

Yazzie3317 said...
Look at my article its called Nightmare ( its not scary its just a personal experience)

Timber2141This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 28, 2016 at 10:34 am
This is really accurate. My name is Emily and I don't like being immodest either.

Rose15 said...
Jan. 9, 2016 at 8:56 am
Check out some of my work related to tge struggle of being a girl

arion681 said...
Dec. 15, 2015 at 11:20 am
someone wrote the same exact story before you. word for word..

ThePowerfulOne This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sorry that was a random comment!