The Skirt MAG

By EmilytheAuthor DIAMOND, St. Francisville, Louisiana
EmilytheAuthor DIAMOND, St. Francisville, Louisiana

Be who you are and say what you feel because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. -dr. seuss

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

Wow! This is wonderful!

on Oct. 11 2017 at 11:51 pm
WritingAddict03 SILVER, Saint Peters , Missouri

Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

Wow! This is wonderful! I feel like in our society we often forget the importance of modesty. Dressing modestly helps you people to be attracted to you because of who you are, and not because of revealing clothes. This piece reminds people to be themselves and not worry about what others think of their attire. Thanks so much for putting this out there! I think this is a message the world needs.

Eswzem BRONZE said...
on Oct. 5 2017 at 11:55 am
Eswzem BRONZE, New Castle, Pennsylvania

"If the roots are deep, there is no reason to fear the wind."

Wow. Amazing story. I absolutely love how it's so relatable, and makes a very good point. We should be who we are, and nothing more, nothing less. Don't step of your comfort zone to "fit in." You fit in as you are, because you are YOU.

on May. 4 2017 at 8:36 pm
HereSheIs BRONZE, Wellesley, Massachusetts

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light." -Plato

That is me and a lot of other girls I know. We can't all be Cinderellas transformed by a nice outfit, and yours is pretty much the only piece of writing that has talked about that, and in a beautiful way too

on May. 4 2017 at 3:19 pm
invisible_to_all BRONZE, Corning, California
good job keep writing

on May. 4 2017 at 3:19 pm
Yea it's just like me as well.

on Feb. 27 2017 at 8:21 am
AditiVibgyor BRONZE, Bhopal, Other
Wow ...this is so much me.

on Jul. 1 2016 at 12:47 am
Kalianah_Wogoman BRONZE, VENETA, Oregon

You may See me struggle but you will never see me quit.

The ending was so relatable. You are awesome at writing!! Nice job.

on Jul. 1 2016 at 12:47 am
Kalianah_Wogoman BRONZE, VENETA, Oregon

samdawg BRONZE said...
on Mar. 30 2016 at 8:38 am
samdawg BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan
I can relate! Nice work.

on Mar. 12 2016 at 1:57 pm
WriterExpert7 GOLD, Lahore, Other

"What I am looking for is not out there, it's in me." ~ Hellen Keller

Nice writing-style!

on Mar. 3 2016 at 11:32 pm
throwinshayde SILVER, New York City, New York

“These are the seasons of emotion, and like the winds, they rise and fall.” -The Rain Song, Led Zeppelin

so so good. we have all had these moments in some way or another

on Mar. 3 2016 at 10:18 am
madisonmarkley BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
I really like this story. It's so important to be yourself and not try to impress others by doing something you're not comfortable with.

sami98 said...
on Feb. 19 2016 at 8:57 am
sami98,
I really relate to this

BigRed said...
on Feb. 19 2016 at 8:16 am
Too many people worry about there image today, more people need to be like you.

on Feb. 14 2016 at 4:25 am
Elaineshao PLATINUM, Shanghai, Other
i like it. this story is really fun

Yazzie3317 said...
on Feb. 4 2016 at 7:27 pm
Yazzie3317, Augusta, Georgia
Look at my article its called Nightmare ( its not scary its just a personal experience)

on Jan. 28 2016 at 10:34 am
Timber2141 GOLD, Enterprise, Utah

What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?

This is really accurate. My name is Emily and I don't like being immodest either.

Rose15 SILVER said...
on Jan. 9 2016 at 8:56 am
Rose15 SILVER, Rockville, Maryland

Love exsists, dont search for it. Because it will find you.

Check out some of my work related to tge struggle of being a girl

on Dec. 15 2015 at 11:20 am
arion681 BRONZE, Oak Grove, Missouri

Maybe you can afford to wait. Maybe for you, there's a tomorrow. Maybe for you there's one thousand tomorrows, or ten, so much time you can bathe in it, roll around it, let it slide like coins through your fingers. So much time you can waste it. But for some of us, there's only today. And the truth is, you never really know."

someone wrote the same exact story before you. word for word..

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!