The Skirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

Chrissiana1320This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 1:11 am
This is great Emily. It reminds me of me.

gracefulThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 1 at 3:09 pm
Your honesty is refreshing! This is great, good job! And for the record, Beauty is something that can never be achieved through how you look or what you wear. Be confident in who you are and you will radiate like no one else.

EleniAnezirisThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 14 at 12:21 am
I think you shouldn't care so much about whether something is considered "cool" or not. If you like the skirt, then wear it. Don't let anyone stop you from doing what you want. You do you. 

KrisKat said...
Nov. 12 at 12:29 pm
What a great article! Being a teenage girl without a smartphone, a boyfriend, or a group of "popular" friends, I can totally relate to this article. I loved the similes and descriptive language you incorporated into your piece, such as the "anime skirt." You are very talented!!

LarkinThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 9 at 12:09 pm
This is so great. I had the same expierience with a dress the other day. Nice to know there are other teens like me out there. 

arion681 said...
Nov. 2 at 2:23 pm
This seriously reminds me of myself! 

mkahhjxkjs said...
Oct. 23 at 2:19 pm
ys, You go girl  

MissCadabbyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 23 at 9:55 am
Great insight and truly relatable!

lauraxinThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sep. 10 at 10:41 pm
I'm sure almost every girl can relate to this in some way. It's such a relatable story and full of feelings that I'm glad you took the time to write down.

dgeileenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sep. 6 at 3:09 pm
This actually really reminds me of myself...I bought the skirt, but it's just sitting in my closet. Waiting for the day when I am the person who can wear the skirt, or for when the skirt doesn't fit me: whichever comes first.

Liv.HarrisThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sep. 1 at 12:17 pm
Wow, this almost perfectly describes me! I loved this sooooooo much! I am very glad this has so many comments, it's too god not to have this many. Keep being you, and keep inspiring!!!!

aranayaa said...
Apr. 26 at 9:50 am
its really a good article and there are very few who believe in themselves and nt easily get iinfuencd by others...dressing sense is not somethng which defines the inner beauty:)

Godinspiresher43This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 12 at 3:58 pm
Although I kinda understand where you're coming from I don't agree with you. If something doesn't agree with you internally and you do it anyway, it would definately change who you are.  I think  what you wear really does matter more than what you realize. It shows part of your character.  When a girl decides to dress modestly, it doesn't mean she's trying to cover up herself to hide. Instead it shows her dignity.

Apr. 12 at 3:47 pm
This was a great article! Your narrative voice was awesome and you said in such few words and you still got your point across. I totally understand where you're coming from too. I like to stay modest and appropriate too. I don't like dressing trashy and wearing inappropriate clothes even if it's the "in thing to do." Don't ever compromise your morals even if it's the cool thing to do. I love this and I respect your choice for not buying the short skirt even though y... (more »)

CookieMonster24This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 8 at 4:38 pm
Define 'cool clothes". ;) 

Nicolette4455This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 16 at 10:11 pm
The idealization of clothing, and how one believes it is going to make them somehow better is so relatable. I absolutely love the line: "So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be."  I hope you know you are beautiful, and not for your appearance, but for your words.

robininthesky said...
Mar. 13 at 5:21 pm
This is a really great article. That being said, I hate it when people tell you to "be yourself." You get to decide who to be, and therefore whoever you are is yourself. The way you act is yourself. Wearing a short skirt won't change that. This article has a good message, which, as a fellow geeky girl, I appreciate, but wearing a short skirt does not mean that you aren't being true to yourself.

Its bakhtawar (: said...
Mar. 7 at 6:42 am
Aww . C'mon be yourself . Have your own simple and different personality . Cheers (;

ramfthomas4This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 28 at 9:37 pm
This happens to me.  ALL.  THE.  TIME. You'd think I would learn...

LydCB said...
Feb. 19 at 11:55 am
"Be yourself - everyone else is taken" :)