The Skirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

Yazzie3317 said...
today at 7:27 pm
Look at my article its called Nightmare ( its not scary its just a personal experience)

Timber2141This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 28 at 10:34 am
This is really accurate. My name is Emily and I don't like being immodest either.

Rose15This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 9 at 8:56 am
Check out some of my work related to tge struggle of being a girl

arion681This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 15, 2015 at 11:20 am
someone wrote the same exact story before you. word for word..

ThePowerfulOneThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sorry that was a random comment!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leigh116 said...
I've had similar experiences in stores. Your article really made my day.

GarriStruckThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 23, 2015 at 4:14 am
Everyone should be able to wear what they want without being made to feel bad, birthday suit or burqa

thefierypen said...
You are very talented!!! Good job!!!

I can relate to this so much! This gives other people courage to stick to their morals and stay strong. I'm not ashamed to be who I am and i've had my fair share of moment like this.

JayBlueThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I absolutely love this post! This is amazing and I can totally relate. Keep writing!

mariyahm--This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I can understand what you are talking bout when you say, “It’s my choice” and you don't care what your friends think of you. This relates to me because just as my friends are all into social media and other net works, yet I rather to not deal with that. I feel that my life story doesn’t need to be told from a social media website or app. My life story will be told by me, so if you don’t know or see me ole well it's just not meant to be. It’s not good to follow other people’s footst... (more »)

vansgirl said...
i think we shouldn't change who and how we look . if your happy with what you wear and are, then thats all that matters . ;)

ApocalypticThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I admire the fact that you stuck to your morals. I have had that kind of choice before, and I caved. It didn't work for me, and I ended up feeling stupid. I admire you a lot.

AnnaKarenina said...
We've all been there. Love this.

A.QtheGreat said...
I can totally relate to this. some clothes I just refuse to wear because it's not "me"

Mallowmarsh-Andi said...
Been there lots and lots of times. This was great.

celticstudygirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This totally reminds me of myself a lot.

casey_lgThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is so relatable and I am glad you stayed true to you.

CharleyHeelisThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Wow! I cannot explain how beautiful this is , keep choosing to wear what you want and not what others want you to wear ... you're an inspiration xox