Hateful Things | Teen Ink

Hateful Things

By Lessie93 GOLD, New York, New York
Lessie93 GOLD, New York, New York

At the crack of dawn there are no noises to be heard except the chirping of the birds. Everything is quiet as you are getting ready for your day to begin. That is until you step on the school bus and the underclassmen are full of chatter and laughter. Your quiet day has now been disturbed.
Mondays always start out good. Waking up at 6AM is not that bad and getting home at 3PM is not that bad either. Leaving my house for work at 3:15PM and then going to class at 7PM is also not that bad. However, getting home at 9PM is not something to look forward to as you finally have a chance to check your planner and you see all of the homework and studying left to be done. Today is only Monday.
Chores are meant to give kids a grasp on reality. Eventually you will move out of your parents’ home and you will have to know how to take care of yourself. However, setting the table for dinner and making my dad’s salad is not teaching me anything that I do not already know. Neither is cleaning up afterwards or doing laundry.
Puppies are bothersome; all they do is whine and bark all day. They jump on you and always want to play never taking any time to rest. You cannot do anything with a puppy and while you are walking they will always step in your path. They are just like the creatures from Gremlins.
Everyone is always in a rush to go somewhere- their home, the post office before it closes, or the mall. Yet when you run into someone they always ask “How are you?” The funny thing is they do not actually care how you are and sometimes they will not even wait for a response. Is there a point in even answering “good?”
Long car rides are fun; that is unless you are the one driving. After 3 hours of driving things start to get dull. Everyone in the car falls asleep and there is nothing to do except listen to the GPS as it apathetically directs you to your destination.

This is my version of Hateful Things, inspired by The Pillow Book.