The Best and Worst Day of My Life

“Wake up! Wake up!” was the yell I woke up to. “Come on we’re going to go get the puppy!” screamed my brother. My eyes snapped open and I sat up in bed. “Today’s going to be the best day of my life,” I thought. “I'm getting my first dog!”

I quickly jumped out of bed and ran for the bathroom. I brushed my teeth for a minute and put on my shorts and t-shirt. “No time for breakfast,” I thought and sprinted straight to the car. When I found no one else was in there I came out and went to the kitchen. “We’re not going unless you eat something first,” my mom said. She wasn’t very excited about the dog but she was eating cereal like a well-oiled machine. I grabbed a granola bar and gulped it down so fast I choked. My mom smiled and handed me a glass of water. She knew I had wanted this for over ten years. In fact, my first word was doggie, and for the next two years every animal I saw had a relation with a dog. An elephant was a big doggie, a pigeon was a small doggie, and a dog was, well, a doggie.

I waited for my dad and brother to finish eating and then we hopped into the car. The pet store was less than three miles away but my dad drove sixty-five miles per hour on a forty miles per hour zone. He too wasn’t excited about a dog, as he hates dirtiness and avoids animals on all occasions. However, he had a big old German Shepherd when he was a kid and the whole family knew that he was the one who would get the most attached to the puppy.
We pulled up to Pets Pets Pets off of Easton Avenue and jumped out of the car. We ran inside and the employees were waiting for us. “Are you the Puggle guys?” they asked. “Yes we are, can you show us where he is?” we replied. We followed him to the dog section with dogs in crates barking at us to hold them. We had special ordered a male Puggle (combination of a Pug and a Beagle) about a month ago, but we had to leave on a quick trip to India for a surprise birthday for my cousin. They agreed to hold him until we got back.

We followed the employed into a back room with a small crate on a desk. He opened the lock and lifted out a sleek fawn colored puppy the size of a watermelon. He placed the puppy in my hands while I was breathless. The curious puppy looks around and licks my face a couple times. I let my brother have a turn before we put him on the ground. Whoosh was the sound he made when he took off. He ran so fast we should have named him Bullet or Flash, but he ran to the giant Labrador Retriever resting in another room and started biting his legs. Then he proceeded to jump on top of the sleeping Great Dane and bite his ears. I said to the crazy puppy, “Hey buster, why are you messing with the big dogs when there are Chihuahuas in the other room?” That’s when I knew his name would be Buster.

We paid for him and then the employee gave us a lecture on how to take care of a dog. We said thank you and we left the pet store. We took him home and set up the cage and bed and toys before we let him in the house, and when he did he ran around the house thirty-fifty times. He then stops, pees a gallon onto the floor, and continues to run. We pin Buster down for enough time to properly clean the mess, and put away all of the cleaning supplies. You will never guess what happened next. He leaves his droppings on the same spot. We broke out the cleaning supplies once more and put the dog in his cage to learn some manners. Well that didn’t work…as soon as we let him out he started running again. After an hour or two he calmed down and we took him outside to do his business, after which we gave him some kibble. He ate it promptly and just dropped to the ground and fell asleep. We knew we were going to have to do a lot of work with this one.

He woke up around 8:30 PM, but something felt wrong. He wasn’t exactly excited like he was before. He didn’t even stand up. He just curled up into a ball and threw up. We saw mulch and grass, which was probably eaten when we took him to the backyard. He threw up again a half-hour later and then had three events of diarrhea. We didn’t know what to do. It was Labor Day and all veterinarians were closed. It was the day before school started so we couldn’t stay overnight at a hospital. After some argument we decided to rush him to the 24/7 animal hospital after he started hypersalivating.

We got there and the nurse was waiting for us. She took him inside and did a full check up and she couldn’t find anything wrong. When the doctor came in he took Buster to the back room for testing on viruses and parasites while we waited in agonizing anticipation in the lobby. It felt like a 1900s black and white movie. The doctor came out with good news. “Good news, your dog is fine, he probably just had some stomach irritation with some pesticide treated grass,” he said. He gave us some antibiotics and sent us on our way. While my dad filled out the paperwork I took Buster and sat in the car. He looked at me and licked my face, just as he did a few hours earlier. “I'm never going to let anything happen to you buddy,” I replied. “I promise.”

hemannth said...
i bet your brother was happy when he got the dog to

htrae22 said...
that is really seet i was really scared for Buster he sounds like such a sweet dog good luck with the potty training

Stars said...
Jan. 24, 2011 at 8:19 am:
Buster is one lucky dog! You have described the transition in the day so well. Kudos on being able to put your emotions on paper so well!