Pick Me Up | Teen Ink

Pick Me Up

“A friend knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.” - Anonymous.

I trust my friends with my life, my every secret. Even with all my flaws, they still love me. My friends know how to lift me back up whenever I’m at my lowest. They’ll never let me down, even if its two in the morning and I call them because I need someone to talk to since I can’t get to sleep or just have something on my mind. They’re my pick me up when I’m down and need someone to help me find myself again.

One day, I came to school in a mess of tears and sniffles. My mom and I had just got into a fight the night before and my eyes still stung from crying most of the night. Soon as my best friend saw my face, she ran up to me and gave me a huge bear hug. Something as small as that lifted my spirits just a little. The rest of the day she spent listening to me and whenever she thought I was getting too sad, she would tell me some stupids jokes and make me laugh. I had felt so sad going to school that day but by the time I was heading home, it seemed like that was ancient history.

My friends don’t need to do much to lift my spirits. Whether its just a shared laugh, a lent ear, or some good advice, they’re always there as a shoulder to lean on and in return I do the same. Friends are like a second family, but even better than that, they’re my pick me up.