What I Learned in Chicago | Teen Ink

What I Learned in Chicago

By xxmandaxox SILVER, Wilmington, Massachusetts
xxmandaxox SILVER, Wilmington, Massachusetts

there are so many people out there that will tell you, you cant, what yu have to do is turn around and say watch me,

“I know my mom’s gang name.” Victoria said to me quietly. “Victoria, do you know what a gang is?” I said with concern. “Yeah, it’s where people shoot other people, and if you shoot someone and get away with it, that’s good.” She said. “Victoria where did you hear that from?” I said.” “From my mom and my dad” she said without a worry in the world.

My church and I went to Chicago on a mission trip last July. I met a girl named Victoria, in an organization called “By the Hand.” This organization was for children that had trouble learning in school, it was also a Christian organization. We worked and tutored the kids. My girl was names Victoria, and she was in third grade. She told me all kinds of stories about her mom and dad, and even her brother, which at the time was in jail. Some of the things she said to me worried me. I told the instructor, but all she said was that the kids are used to Chicago, and even though the things she told me were true most kids had it worse.

Going on this mission trip was life changing, I went to serve god and I did. I feel like god wanted me there to realize what I have in my life. A lot of the time I think I have it really bad but I don’t have it half as bad as these kids.

The organization was welcoming to all people. Oddly enough when my youth group walked into the building, every single one on the kids were African American. After a while you realize you are in Chicago, and that is what to expect. The one thing that did surprise me about these kids is that they all wanted to learn and worship god, and that alone touched my heart, and that is why this is an important chapter of my life.

this is what god taught me in chicago

thank you!

MLeeClyne said...
on Jan. 15 2011 at 10:18 am
Oh, that's sweet, I think what you're doing is really great. :)