The Inspirer | Teen Ink

The Inspirer

“Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while and leave footprints on our hearts and we are never, ever the same.” The words by an unknown author explain when people leave an imprint in our heart; they have influenced the way we think, feel, and act. My mom, Geralyn, has definitely changed the way I think, feel, or act about my life. She has always been there for me and always will. I have loved her ever since day one and I will never ever stop.
I have known my mother for fourteen years of my life. She is hardworking, understanding, loving and definitely a good listener. Loving and a good listener are character traits that I think make up her very well. Mom listens to me when I go on and on about school, boy trouble or anything! I am very open with her; she loves me every minute of the day and will never stop! The thing is the list is way too long to describe her of how great she truly is.

I learned when I was ten years old that the truth always, and I mean always comes to the top of the cake, and lying to cover up a lie, makes it worse. It was rainy day, so my brother and I couldn’t play outside. We decided to have a catch with a tennis ball in my basement. At first, we were rolling the ball back and forth, until that got boring. So we came to the decision to throw it in the air. Now, I didn’t have the best aim, and it showed. Shattered into pieces on the floor.

“HER LAMP!” I screamed.
I knew I would be in huge trouble when she got home from grocery shopping. So I knew I had to think fast. I quickly blamed it on my five year old brother. In minutes she was home. My nails soon became studs. Her smile went to a jaw-dropper. I told her Sean threw the tennis ball and broke the lamp. Boy, was he in trouble or what! He took on two timeouts and his tush smacked. I felt relieved, but noticed the tears in his eyes. I wanted to come clean, but was terrified to face the consequences. I couldn’t bare another moment. I broke into tears and told her I broke the lamp. I apologized to Sean, and faced my consequences. I was grounded for two weeks, one for lying that I didn’t break the lamp, and for the other week for actually breaking it. Actually I think she knew it was me, that I broke it, not Sean. From that day on, I knew my mom wasn’t born yesterday, and that lying isn’t the way to go. I still remember this day like it was yesterday.

Mom always told me to be different from the crowd. Always be yourself, and let no one stand in your way. One sunny day I set off to the mall with my mom and friends. It was so busy! We were like a salmon going upstream. We were having a great time, laughing and chatting up a storm. We made the decision to drop into Aéropostale. My friends scattered while I stood with my Mom. They both came upon a top that they liked. It came to their attention that there was no line for the fitting room, so they ran right in. It looked great on them and they loved it.

All of sudden, they curiously asked, “Bridget you’re not buying this top?”
“No actually I don’t like it,” I answered.
Their eyes widen, and looked at me in a weird way. (Like the look, what’s wrong with you?) The girls hustled on line to buy it, while I went to stand back next to Mom.
She looked at me and said, “I’m proud of you, you stood up for yourself and gave your opinion not knowing what they would think.”
“Thanks, it really wasn’t that hard though!” I said. From now on, I know to stand out (in a good way!) and just be me and not to pretend to be something that I’m not.
(I couldn’t choose between these two quotes)
“I love my mother as the trees love water and sunshine - she helps me grow, prosper, and reach great heights.” ~Terri Guillemets. “Mama was my greatest teacher, a teacher of compassion, love and fearlessness. If love is sweet as a flower, then my mother is that sweet flower of love.” - Stevie Wonder. These two quotes in my opinion best represent my mother; always loving me and wanting me to do my best in life. I would like to thank my Mom for everything she does for me, I love you. From showing me to tie my shoes, or to give me life lessons, I know I will always learn from you no matter how old I am. Thanks again!