My Mother's Words | Teen Ink

My Mother's Words

By J.C.Evans GOLD, Westland, Michigan
J.C.Evans GOLD, Westland, Michigan

As I picked up the last college bound box resting on my shelf, the sweet words of my mother, painted along the border of my room, captured my attention once again. Instantly, I remembered each time she had tip-toed into my room at night, so she could softly whisper her poem in my ear, and how when I was a child, she would sing it to me as a lullaby. There were times in the past when I thought of her poem as being childish, but as I matured and grew, I realized how it applies to every new adventure I face in life. A smile spread across my face, while I thought of the many times I was too prideful to crawl into my mother’s arms, and yet I would sit on my bed and read her words, simply to feel her comfort. I paused for a moment to hold back a tear, still, one managed to trickle down my cheek. So many special moments flashed through my mind… family dinners, holidays, long talks with my parents, playing soccer with my brother. Oh, how I would cherish those memories while I was away.

My father’s voice, calling my name, broke my moment of recollection. I knew they were waiting by the front door, dreading that last farewell.

But before I left the room, I looked up, and read my mother’s words one more time…

“Fly little one, Spread your wings. Begin your journey, Explore new things. You may feel small, Yet don't give in. Believe in yourself, There's strength within. Raise your head, Get off the floor. Take your chance, It's time to soar. Release your worries, Forget your fear. You're not alone, I'm always here. Open your eyes, Set your soul free. There's so much ahead, For you to see. Don't look back, Life's waiting on you. Rely on faith, To get you through. Take your first step, Trust in your fate. Fly little one, Your potential is great.”

on Dec. 14 2010 at 6:17 pm
DrewFiero SILVER, Ettrick, Wisconsin

We're all stories in the end.

I love the ending, it was so inspirational and made me think of my mom who passed away...