Conquering Fear | Teen Ink

Conquering Fear

October 6, 2010
By Anonymous

There are many situations that come about in our lives in which fear is awoken inside of us. Choices that could turn your life around in a good or bad way come up more often than you would think. In the past, I have done things that scare me to death and yet after I accomplished the tasks, I was glad that I did. Through personal experience, I am here to tell all of you frightened people out there, who refuse to take risks, that you should never be afraid to go after something, even if it is something that truly terrifies you.


The spring of 2010, I was at a birthday party for my cousin, Sophia, at an ice rink in the center of a huge shopping mall. I was having a great time ice skating, eating cake, and celebrating another year with Sophia. My uncle had gone to take a walk around the mall and when he returned he told me that they were holding tryouts, at the other end of the mall, for people to sing the National Anthem at PGE Park. Immediately my aunt and uncle, along with some other friends and family members who were there, bombarded me with remarks about auditioning. My stomach started to hurt and chills ran up and down my spine. Finally, I consented to go and see what it was all about.


I went to the stage, which just happened to be smack in the center of one of the busiest parts of the mall, and observed the scene. The singing hadn’t begun yet and my uncle pleaded with me to tryout. So I slowly approached the sign up table and gave them my name. “You will be singing in about twenty minutes,” said the young lady at the desk. Why? Why? Why did I consent to do this? I thought to myself. People began to crowd around the stage and my uncle told me that he was going to go and tell everyone about what I was about to do, but that he would be right back.


He wasn’t right back. A gentleman holding a microphone approached me about ten minutes later and said, “Okay, are you ready?” Everyone else had sung and now it was my turn. No! No! I wanted to say, but instead I blurted out the words, “Yep! I’m ready!” I got up on the stage and everything went silent. People surrounded me from all sides; three judges sat staring at me. No music. No uncle. Only me. Then, I started to sing. All of a sudden, I felt a peace come over me. I can do this! I thought to myself. I WAS doing this! Then, far down the long stretch of walkway, I saw my uncle running towards me with the video camera in his hand, trying to get this moment on tape! It released the tension inside of me just to see how hard he was trying to get to watch me. Then, just as quickly as it had started, it was over. I came off the stage, handed over the microphone, and left the vicinity.


A few months past and I got no callback to sing at a game. It was discouraging and yet it was a relief to know that I wouldn’t have to sing again. But in June, I got a phone call asking me to sing on the upcoming Wednesday and then again in August. I didn’t want to do it, but at the same time, there was a part of me that longed to sing in a huge stadium in front of hundreds of people. So finally, I made up my mind, made the arrangements, ended up singing at both games, and had a fabulous time sharing my ability with the people around me.


The point that I am trying to make is that people who fear special opportunities, such as the one that I was lucky enough to come across, shouldn’t back down from the challenge. Don’t let fear control you. Just go for it. Sure there will be struggles and everyone deals with the butterflies, but when it comes down to it, these fearful people need to trust in themselves and the plan that God has for them. So the next time you are approached with a challenge that appears too difficult to handle, believe in the great abilities that you have and don’t back down.