This i beleve essay | Teen Ink

This i beleve essay

October 7, 2010
By austinxciomax BRONZE, Arvada, Colorado
austinxciomax BRONZE, Arvada, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 17 comments

I believe that blood is thicker than water. One day I was just getting ready for school. I was rushing because I had woken up late. I was going to take my bike but the handle bars were jiggly. I was actually trying to avoid an accident, so instead I just ran right past my helmet and onto my brother’s bike.
When I got on his bike I had not known that he had accidentally broke his back brakes, so I rolled up to a very steep hill. I started down it. Within seconds I knew I was already going to fast. I tried using the brakes but….nothing happened. I tried turning onto another sidewalk to slow down. But as I was turning a car was coming. By the time we both saw each other it was already to late. My back wheel and his car had collided. As they hit, I pulled the front brakes.
I flew off my brother’s bike and onto asphalt. But in mid-air, the force of power in which I flew of the bike, I hit a postal mailbox and tore it out of the ground. I didn’t lose any momentum and dented a stop sign. After I hit the the ground, I didn’t stop, I skid on the right side of my body for about 20 yards. When I had finally stopped, I had 5 broken ribs, severe brain trauma and a cracked skull. My right knee was shattered beyond standing or operative repair, And I had the worst road rash you’ll ever see. I was so very close to losing my right arm, leg and right half of my face.
But despite all that, I didn’t shed a tear. I didn’t make a big deal out of it. In reality I should have been dead instantly, but I feel that god or life force, or what ever you want to call it, wanted me to get up and fight for my life. So despite the unthinkable bloody cut up pain I did, I stood, I stood with a shattered knee.
By the time I stood up, an ambulance was there. I went to sleep, then all I remember after that was the distinct look of sheer horror on my mother’s face when she came in and saw all of the blood-soaked, thin, white hospital sheets. and all the blood from my face and limbs. When I looked into her eyes I saw something else too. I saw the look of strength and power to live, instead of having hope she knew that I would power through the situation I was in. After leaving the hospital, I was completely unable to walk.
The feeling of being so helpless made me only want to get stronger, and my family was there for me the whole time, not to show me sympathy or sorrow, but to show me that I did have the power to get stronger. And even late at night I would hear my mother and brother praying for me to live and get stronger, and to be able to walk again. And so one day to my family’s amazement got out of bed, I was sick of them worrying over me, so I stood. Even though my knee was in several pieces I still stood and walked to my mom and gave her a hug. And told her words I once needed to hear, ”It will be ok”.
And so from walking out of that dark dreary place that I was once in, I walked into a brighter future were I knew that no matter what, my family would be there for me.
So now, I believe that no matter how you think about it, or even if you think you hate your family, family is the most important thing a person can have.


The author's comments:
its all true XD