My Name Is...

I don't do it because I want to. I don't do it because I have to. I do it because I need to. It's not an addiction, I can stop whenever I want.
I'm Tayah, and I'm a writer.
Does this introduction spark any red flags? Does it remind you of anything? Whenever I read over it I get taken back to AA meetings; Alcoholics Anonymous. Not mine, of course not, but the commercials. The TV shows. You get the point.
Addictions can be terrible things. Meth, cocaine, marijuana, even the supposed to be harmless cigarettes. They can suck the life out of you, giving you a one track mind. You're only focused on your next hit, your next high. You don't care about anything else.
Writing, to me, is just like this. When I am in what I call a 'frenzy' I can't seem to stop. Everything has a double meaning. That huge water fountain in the mall? It signifies the shedding of someone's innocence as each drop of water splashes into the bottom. It also parodies a waterfall, roaring and fast with no real destination.
The thing is, there is no Writer's Anonymous. There is no Twelve Step Program for us. Why is that? Is it because people don't truly see writing as an addiction? Instead, a creative outlet? Probably.
Is writing truly dangerous? To some people, maybe. I would know from experience. You can get sucked into this imaginary world, and soon reality holds no true meaning to you. You aren't an eleventh grader who gets bullied everyday anymore, you're a mage with the power to save the world as we know it. As you know it.
I don't believe that writing is honestly dangerous. I don't believe it can kill you. Mentally, physically, not at all. It's a wonderful addiction that I don't ever want to get rid of. So what if you prefer being a mage to a freckled high school student? No one has any real right to stop you.
I'm Tayah, and I'm a writer. I can stop anytime I want to. I just don't want to.

Jared_T. said...
today at 5:51 pm:
O.o Man, never thought of writing like this before…  I generally don’t write for leisure, but whenever I do, the same thing happens to me.

SophieWofie said...
Aug. 11, 2010 at 10:42 am:

vedy nice :) 

.....................................dompy XD of course, my words are totally inadequite (and i cant spell ;))

sweetdominanceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 11, 2010 at 3:57 pm :

That nickname will follow me everywhere. XDXD

Thanks Sophie! :)

SophieP. replied...
Aug. 11, 2010 at 5:15 pm :
you're very welcome :)

little.miss.mars said...
haha, so true. we all need to found our own Writer's Anonymous ;)

Aug. 4, 2010 at 11:22 pm :
Exactly! Thanks for taking the time to read this, also. :)

little.miss.mars replied...
Aug. 5, 2010 at 6:17 pm :
np. i really did enjoy this :) ur a good writer

Someone_Who_Is_Loved said...
I totally know what u mean :) Whenever I bring out my notebook to write an idea down that jumped into my head I get looks, and people asking me what I`m doing. Whenever I ditch my friends to finish a poem, they wonder why. For me, writing is my addiction. I love it, and I doubt Ill ever stop. Thanks for taking the time 2 write this..... It really connected with me :D

Aug. 4, 2010 at 8:02 pm :
:) Thanks for the comment! I'm glad I connected with at least one person - haha. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :):)

Someone_Who_Is_Loved replied...
Aug. 4, 2010 at 9:19 pm :
Be4 I was introduced 2 this website I thought that I wasnt a normal teenager, because I liked poetry, reading, and writing. Ever since I found this website, I dont feel that way anymore. I now know that other teenagers share the same love of reading and writing that I do :)

Healing_Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 5, 2010 at 3:39 am :
It's not weird to love writing, it's healthy! ;)

Aug. 5, 2010 at 9:24 am :
Thanks for reading & replying! :):)

Someone_Who_Is_Loved replied...
Aug. 5, 2010 at 4:38 pm :
Well, whenever I come 2 school, saying "OMG, I just finished the most best book ever", ppl looked at me weirdly so ya.......... And u'r welcome SweetDominance :) I like making ppl feel good about their work