What About the Weeds?

A flower is beautiful, gently swaying in the breeze, her flowers polished, not one leaf out of place. She gracefully sways in tune to the song of summer, the wind, the rain, the sun. A weed grows strong and straight and tall, ignoring the breeze and bowing to no one, nothing. She pays the price for her pride, scorned and shunned by all but the other weeds. The weeds act as one, standing together out of necessity, if not out of friendship and love. You see, they need each other. They need the solidity of a union, the strength in numbers. Each one has the words and the knowledge to do whatever they want, from conducting a beautiful orchestra to ending world hunger. With the right instructor they can do anything, and although not boastful, they know it. The flowers have the same potential, although they don’t apply themselves. Some simply don’t care, others are afraid to fail, and still others distract themselves from what matters. I say this because I do not refer to the flowers who have stalks and blooms and roots, I refer to those above the ground, the ones in beautiful dresses with perfect hair and laughter. These flowers, like the true flowers, are beloved for their beauty. They are given the best food, the kindest words, and the softest touch. They grow slender and perfect. The human weeds, though, they get nothing nearly as good. They are put down, shunned from “Proper Society”. They might not have perfect hair, they probably don’t give a pile of spit about makeup, and it shows that they don’t keep up with the extreme latest trends. The weeds, however, are also the ones who help up a stranger who has fallen, who read every book for the fun of it, and who don’t need 20 “friends” to complete their life. Maybe she hasn’t been asked out on a date in a year, and maybe he can’t dance like Michael Jackson. Then again, maybe he held a door for someone else without getting a thank you in response, and was perfectly fine with it. Did you see it when she gushed about the gift her little sister got her, a clay lump painted like a rock? A flower frowns down upon anything less perfect than itself, and then tosses anything more perfect, afraid its grace dims its own. Who, then, has grace? The flower, who is perfect in every physical way, but whose heart shines not at all? Or perhaps the weed, who, while coarse and unrefined on the outside, on the inside is a pure diamond, glittering and waiting for a chance to show itself. Who, then, shows elegance? The one who can dance and dance for hours without falling or missing a step, or the one who dances horribly, yet does it with a pure and true smile on her face? The opinion is up to the reader, but keep in mind that Beautiful is a state of mind, soul and heart, not of hair, clothes, and makeup.

alec said...
Fantastic work

singergurl12 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 12:41 pm :
thanks, alec!

Aronmighty said...
this is WONDERFUL very um wuts the word..... oh awesome. Im defanitly a flower since im awesome on the outside and not as awesome on the inside. VERY GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!!

Oct. 13, 2010 at 12:40 pm :
hmm... sounds a little... umm... whats the word... low-self-esteem-ish. I agree, Nate, you ARE a flower on the outside. but everyone is good on the inside- some just deeper than others. FIND YOUR INNER WEED, NATHAN!!!

Aronmighty replied...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 12:44 pm :
wut a "surprise" if you no wut eye mean

Oct. 13, 2010 at 12:46 pm :
no. not really.

gracegirl29This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is absolutely amazing. I love it. The language, diction, voice, and point of view are all fantastic. I'm in eighth grade too and i've been living the single life since i was nine and had one of those glorious five minute relationships. now, i really like this one guy but i always wonder if i'm good enough for him. Thanks so much for writing this. it's incredible.

Sept. 22, 2010 at 1:54 pm :

its my favorite as well ;)

thanks- im so glad you can relate. Now, I'm not going to tell you "oh my gawsh you have got to ask him out theres nothing to lose"  because there is always something to lose.. just keep in mind- since when is chivalry so dead that the guys expect the girls to ask them out? if he is to stubborn to realise your obviously amazing qualities or to afraid to be seen with a weed, his problem. just flirt on and make him want to. trust me- we weeds have to... (more »)

gracegirl29This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 22, 2010 at 10:17 pm :
yeah, it's not so much that he's a flower but he comes from the garden if you catch my drift. i don't really know his parents much, but i just know that he's amazing. thanks for your support:)

Sept. 24, 2010 at 4:26 pm :
haha i feel ridiculously nosy/preachy but your welcome- and i know exactly what you mean. good luck ;)

Sept. 24, 2010 at 4:27 pm :
i know exactly what you mean- good luck ;)

alwayskelley This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
wow this really speaks to me! im a freshmen, ive never had a boyfriend, and some of my friends have had seven, sometimes i feel like no guy will ever like me but this gives me hope!

Sept. 17, 2010 at 9:48 am :
okay, idk who u r but i LOVE YOU. (in a non creepishly way- i am a chick.) Im an 8th grader- boyfriend-less since pre-k when i married my best friend. I know exactly how you feel- just don't give up that you WILL find prince charming someday. thanks- you've really inspired me ;) (Ps- i dont recommend the marrying thing in pre-k, he's in my class this year and its REALLY akward.)

alwayskelley This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 19, 2010 at 4:23 pm :

wow ur in 8th grade!? dang! well good luck w ur x-husband ;P nd keep writing! :))

*also check out my stuff?? thatd be great :)

Sept. 20, 2010 at 9:01 am :
lol thanks bunches! and sure- love to!

Diana101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

This story was beautiful!!! I loved it so much. I can't wait until you post another story!!!

*Could you maybe read and comment on my story?

Aug. 25, 2010 at 7:08 pm :
thanks so much! i really appreciate it- i'll try to comment some of yours to!

riley... said...
excellent writing. great use of adjectives really gave the piece a good feel. great job :)... could you check out some of my poetry perhaps?

Aug. 25, 2010 at 7:06 pm :
yeah sure ill try to do that! thanks!

beautifulworld said...
Wow, you are an excellant writer. This is all so true, even though sometimes I do wish otherwise. Great job!