It's Life That Scares Me To Death | Teen Ink

It's Life That Scares Me To Death

By MumblingMelanie DIAMOND, Jackson, Missouri
MumblingMelanie DIAMOND, Jackson, Missouri

Don't be a victim; be a titan.

No one can comfort me this time, running their hands down my arms as if to warm them and whispering, “Shh, it’ll be alright.” No one can assure me that what I’m afraid of is just a child’s fable, or a bedtime story told by sadistic nannies. No one can tell me that my biggest fear resides only in the eerily deserted rain forests, where I’ll probably never go. Because what I’m afraid of is inevitable.
I’m afraid of being dead. No, not dying; at least then I’m partially alive, still holding hands with the people I’ve grown to adore. At least when I’m dying I’ll still be awake, part of the colorful visions that might just be in my head. But when I’m dead, what is there? Is it endless darkness? Will I be born again just seconds after my life is over? Will I burn in the endless flames I’ve heard about without fail, or reside in the perfect nothingness? Shall my troubled soul be stuck in this world, haunting the dreams of the living children I glare at so enviously?
To be honest, even more frightening to my mind is the thought I will do nothing to be remembered by. Maybe I’ll ride out my days retired, living in the countryside home I presently have nightmares about, not fantasies. There’s a chance I’ll be stuck as a stay at home mom, even worse a lonely, eccentric old woman working nine-to-five, still too poor to even wager for retirement. If we do only get one chance at life, I’m afraid I’ll waste it like a package of raspberries, hidden in the back of the fridge.
Or perhaps I will go down in history, the most brilliant writer to have ever walked the face of the planet, as my wildest dreams allow. Maybe the high school students alike myself will see my picture in the midst of their American history textbooks, and then they’ll write papers on me. It could be that I’ll become nothing more than a piece of fiction, overused in movies and overhyped in novels, the way my brain forces me to think of other parts of the past.
And maybe I’m not scared of any of this. Maybe the only thing that makes my stomach twist and gripe in the middle of the night is the thought I’ll lose myself in this world, leave all my ambition behind and forget this part of me ever existed.

I’ll think myself raving mad someday, I swear.

Wow, me, way to be morbid!

The title is, in fact, from the song "Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated" which is, in fact, an amazing song. <3

Don't be a victim; be a titan.

Thank you!!! =D

And harhar at the "feeding the arrogance comment". Sometimes it DOES need to be fed. :)

Thank you much-ly for reading and commenting!!!

:D

Seelix PLATINUM, Chandler, Arizona
Sorry to "feed the arrogance", but this is realy good! Keep writing and maybe you will become a famous author (or at very least publish a best-seller;)). I liked how you started out with the chliche fear of death, and ended up with the more realistic fear of life. (By the way, not to shove anything down your throat, but you realy don't have to be scared of either!) Anyway, thank you for this wonderful peice!

Don't be a victim; be a titan.

You're feeding the arrogance! O_O

Hehe I'm kidding. But you did make me smile. :)

Thank you very much!!! I really, REALLY appreciate it! =D

TeresaJeanC DIAMOND, Sebastpol, California

"I hope the exit will be joyful, and I hope never to return" -Frida Kahlo

hey you commented on one of my poems, and you mentioned that your convinced youre gunna be the best writer ever, i believe it, this was amazing!

on Aug. 6 2010 at 11:30 am

Don't be a victim; be a titan.

By the way, the name of the song I stole lyrics from for the title is by the (amazing) band Rise Against. The name of the song is Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated, and it's one of my favorites. :)