Thunder

You don’t know weather until you’ve been to Texas.
It is 4:22 PM and deafening roars shake the skies, trailed by slightly less intimidating flashes of light. Minutes ago, I was asleep, only to be woken by what I call a freak electrical storm. The sky is white and reminds me of water with residual milk left in the glass; gray clouds swirl surreptitiously over a neighbor’s roof. I don’t know why I am outside, except for a love of rain and the lapse in judgment that often results from an interrupted nap. I wait for the ground to wet.

The thunder rumbles slowly, reminiscent of marching troops. I lean against the white column on our front porch, inhaling bits of paint and grass. Storms have always been soothing to me, and I nearly sink into a dreamlike state when the cries of an angry tiger rip through the sky. I jerk, suddenly awake, and stare immobile at the clouds, hands hovering at my sides. My head tries to drag me back into the house, straining for statistics it does not know. You’re dangerous, I hear, and stupid. Shrugging mentally, I fold my knees to my chest and wrap my arms around them. Telltale drops begin to splatter the concrete.
The rain comes in stages, starting at a sprinkle and growing to a steady pour. The way it changes is marvelous: increasing a little at a time, so subtly that you don’t notice the evolution until it’s happened. Trees begin to shake- or, maybe it’s just me- and I widen my eyes, afraid to watch, but even more afraid to miss what comes next. I could be indoors, safe behind a window, but that would put me on the wrong side of the glass. I want to feel this. A thousand photographs could not convey the tremor in my chest, or the stillness of the air as thunder rolls from a distance. The musk of rain would be lost on me if I were not here by the dirt; walls in our house would muffle the sound of this deadly, organic orchestra. I sit, motionless, and listen.
The torrents fall steadily now, percussion to deep bass and lights. Something inside me seems to relax, as though my soul has stilled. Tranquility blankets the storm, silently acknowledging those who watched the sky stretch, rage, and finally settle. My heart is satisfied, and though my head tells me to grow up, I know that I will sit with the next storm, and the one after that. I’m not done with the thunder, nor am I finished with lightning. Stability looms nearer every day, and logic threatens to cut short my encounters, but I will not stop yet. There’s still much to hear and room to stretch, and when the sky roars again, I will roar with it.

Mr. C said...
Great Essay, Em. But I know it's only a scratch on the surface--keep digging.

Sleepy in Seattle said...

Very well written article which shows you a brilliant writer.  

The descriptions and feelings shown here are quite mature for a teenager .  Great hope for now a days generation!
Keep up the good work!

Sally Sunshine said...
Jul. 18, 2010 at 8:46 am

That't such a beautiful aricle. I love it. Keep up the good work.

The great author is comming.

Love

A grandma's friend said...
Very interesting article !!!!

MoonLight said...

I'm your Gram's friend ... All I can say is:

"Like Grandma like Grandchild" ...

Keep up ... looking forward to read alot more of your great essays then ... Love, MoonLight

mikey 123 said...

Excellent essay. Bravo

Purple Ink said...
You're such a brilliant writer. The storm is a perfect analogy to describe your feeling. The writing is creative, imaginative, and very inspirational. Fantastic job! Keep writing.

tbhnguyen said...
Great work, very descriptive and personal.

w944 said...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 11:17 am

I'm one of your grandma's friends. Your writing is so good . The young lady who said you would be a good writer has a good vision

w944

b123 replied...
She is a great writer , really detailed , wonderful.

Mai's friends said...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 6:39 am

wonderful!!! I love it...

How old are you?

emigini replied...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 9:32 am

thank you!

i'm about to be a senior in high school. 

BookLover said...
Well written essay! I love it.

Thunder by Emigini said...
Interesting ideas !

Emily said...

Wonderful article ! You can become a famous writer.

Write..... write !!!

Thunder by Emigini said...

What's a wonderful article !

It reminds me lots of vivid memories in my young age.

Reader said...
VERY GOOD EXPRESSION!