Discarded | Teen Ink

Discarded

By _Mags_ SILVER, Somewhere, North Carolina
_Mags_ SILVER, Somewhere, North Carolina

- I stare danger in the face and giggle
- Never argue with an idiot, people might not know the difference
-R.A.P (Retards Attempting Poetry)
-Tip Cologne ryhmes with alone

----ALL NAMES ARE FAKE----

Do you remember in elementary school that loner that just walked around the playground? Watching stuff but never focusing on anything? Maggie M. was that loner but rather it was because no one wanted to be friends with her, never did. Not many people can say that they went through what she did. She was made fun of and bullied all because they wanted to belong themselves. But they don’t realize the impact it makes. Even in elementary school there was the popular crowds, the normal people, and then the people like Maggie.

* * *

The wind blew to my face, shedding my hair like a cape around me. My young pale freckled hands franticly tried to calm the strands down, what if someone sees my face. But for some miraculous reason no one was making fun of me.

The sun beat down on my back, the grass under my feet was lush green and it crinkled under my shoes. My only friends.

My neck craned painfully to see what was happening behind me. The usual, Lacey and her crowd which surrounded her. Katy, Julia , and Alice were on that rusty old jungle gym. My eyes moved to where Dari and friends would sit on a bench and talk about anything. They called it their “club,” yes very important club when all you do is sit there. Dari was mean to me and almost everybody else, even her friends sometimes. So you think I would not care when I saw tears rolling down her face, with her friends no where in sight.

I did.

My feet involuntarily started to carry me forward, toward the girl. The sun blinded, making my eyes water and blink. But I did not pause. I walked slowly to make sure I did not run into anyone that would possibly hit me. “Um, are you okay?” I asked when I was right in front of her. My voice was deeper then most girls my age, it sounded so weird to me.

Her head slowly popped upward, not expecting someone to be in front of her. I held my breath until my lungs cried out for air. “No,” she cried and burrowed her head inside her small hands once again. I sat down beside her, no longer caring what she was going to say to me afterward. The bench was cold under me, no one has been here but Dari. Why did her friends just abandon her? But deep down I knew her friends caused her to cry like this.

“What’s wrong?” I asked her but I already knew the answer. It was obvious from the look on her face.

She looked at me, her eyes impassive, but glad that someone cared. And ironically it was the girl she never cared about. She told me the story, her voice was cracked and slurred because of the tears that bonded her. She told me the story between chocked breaths.

Her friends truly left her alone. You may think it was odd, the girl that was always abandoned cared about other abandoned people. But Dari was lucky, she had people to talk to. She had friends. She should be with them.

I sat there with her, never leaving her alone that one faithful day on the playground. I sat there and just talked to her, and she listened until her tears had vanished from her face entirely. I could tell you more but that was years ago, and a moment in a year I would never forget.

And finally I convinced her to go talk to her friends. And she listened to me. I could not believe it. But what even shocked more was that she hugged me, I could not hug her back. I couldn’t move.

Dari moved away from me, gulping down what ever lunch she had. By then she was out of sight.

* * *

Maggie watched Dari as she walked off to her friends. She could not hear a thing but she knew what was happening. And the days that followed continued as they always did. Somehow Maggie knew that Dari would never forget about that one faithful person that helped her get her friends back, the girl she made fun of. Maggie’s mouth oddly curled into a crooked smile. Even two years later when Maggie got her first friends, she smiled upon that moment.

The wind blew to Maggie’s face, shedding her hair like a cape around her. Maggie’s young pale freckled hands franticly tried to calm the strands down, what if someone sees my face.

Note from the author:

It is not about the plaques on the walls but the difference you make in peoples lives.

Picture yourself under a pine tree on the sweet grass below
With shimmering rivers and dark underwater skies.
Someone cries to you, you turn ever so slowly
A boy with opaque kaleidoscope eyes.

_Mags_ SILVER said...
on Aug. 14 2010 at 5:35 pm

- I stare danger in the face and giggle
-R.A.P (Retards Attempting Poetry)
-Tip Cologne ryhmes with alone

thanks, and i wanted to help

on Aug. 14 2010 at 5:31 pm
Puff_the_dragon PLATINUM, Monroe, North Carolina

Love can be lost but it will never be forgotten

twin i know about alot of things that you didnt want anybody else to know and i wish i could've been there for u then cuz i wouldve made sure that u had a friend all the time cuz uve helped me out a lot and i'll never forget anything about our friendship

_Mags_ SILVER said...
on Aug. 9 2010 at 5:54 pm

- I stare danger in the face and giggle
-R.A.P (Retards Attempting Poetry)
-Tip Cologne ryhmes with alone

thank you and i know what you mean. But this story happened when i was in elementary school so i don't remember much. I didn't what to give away too much just so they wouldn't feel offended.

iDogrocker said...
on Aug. 9 2010 at 4:06 pm
iDogrocker, Lebanon, Oregon
This is a common enough theme, but you did well with making it accessible to all different kinds of readers. There were a couple places (nowhere in particular) where you had some trouble with wording. Like you knew what you felt about what you wanted to say, but you didn't know what words to use in order to say it, if you know what I mean. The other thing was it was a little bit vague... I'd like to see more about the characters. Get more personality stuff, beyond the stereotypical. Good job, though :)

_Mags_ SILVER said...
on Aug. 9 2010 at 2:50 pm

- I stare danger in the face and giggle
-R.A.P (Retards Attempting Poetry)
-Tip Cologne ryhmes with alone

thank you, and it is someone else's quote. I don't know the person, i just thought it went well with the story

KonyaB!!! GOLD said...
on Aug. 9 2010 at 12:43 pm
KonyaB!!! GOLD, Edison, New Jersey
Amazing, and really relatable.  Just showed that Maggie was the better person even if she wasn't ever cared for. And I loved that note...is it yours or someone else's quote? It's really inspiring like the story itself....keep on writing.

_Mags_ SILVER said...
on Aug. 6 2010 at 6:07 pm

- I stare danger in the face and giggle
-R.A.P (Retards Attempting Poetry)
-Tip Cologne ryhmes with alone

yup yup, and if you want to chek out new stuff: i just posted an excerpt from the story i'm writing.  need the feedback Lol

on Aug. 6 2010 at 5:09 pm
alaskatrailmutt, Jefferson, Maryland
your welcome. Yeah they r stupid, ah well.Yeah I liked it looking forward to any new work :)

_Mags_ SILVER said...
on Aug. 6 2010 at 9:23 am

- I stare danger in the face and giggle
-R.A.P (Retards Attempting Poetry)
-Tip Cologne ryhmes with alone

thank you are words always hurt. Who ever came up with sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me was stupid. I might try to write another story like this at some point

on Aug. 6 2010 at 9:05 am
alaskatrailmutt, Jefferson, Maryland
I really liked it. Very touching and there was anof detail but not to much so that you could enjoy the story. REALLY nice piece :D Keep writng. Maybe write another friend piece. People need to understand words hurt. Most people don't get that. They're so uhg. Hard headed. Anyway I can see you have been there and didn't just say so. Really nice. :)

We-R-3 BRONZE said...
on Jul. 28 2010 at 11:58 pm
We-R-3 BRONZE, Orlando, Florida

A picture is worth a thousand words, however it takes a real artist to turn words into pictures.

Have you heard about the new Lebron Iphone, you have to set it on vibrate because it doesn't have any rings

I like it, I really do. It is a very touching story. What I have found out in my thirteen years are that the people who everyone leaves out are the most creative, most honest, most interesting, and have the best personalities. This is a very good anecdote and I believe that it can really teach people things. again I am mentally aplauding your work. I love the way you are able to take memories of the past and write them in a touching way. Real authors can write any type of piece.

on Jul. 15 2010 at 9:30 pm
bluestar500 BRONZE, Perkasie, Pennsylvania
yes, most definately! we make it a point to scare at least one random person a day xD ...not always on purpose, but what can you do?

_Mags_ SILVER said...
on Jul. 15 2010 at 8:55 pm

- I stare danger in the face and giggle
-R.A.P (Retards Attempting Poetry)
-Tip Cologne ryhmes with alone

same here about the crazy group of friends - people are afriad of us (like we're too awesome for them to comprehend, i guess it's the same with you)

on Jul. 15 2010 at 8:32 pm
your welcome! (and don't worry bout me, i now have my insanely crazy group of friends that enjoy my company as much as i do them ;D )

_Mags_ SILVER said...
on Jul. 15 2010 at 7:57 pm

- I stare danger in the face and giggle
-R.A.P (Retards Attempting Poetry)
-Tip Cologne ryhmes with alone

thank you and i'm sorry about what happened to you :'(.

on Jul. 15 2010 at 4:16 pm
aw!! brings back memories -wipes tear- (i had the same issue myself) that was absolutely beautiful! it's earned a heart <3<3 =)

_Mags_ SILVER said...
on Jul. 8 2010 at 3:46 pm

- I stare danger in the face and giggle
-R.A.P (Retards Attempting Poetry)
-Tip Cologne ryhmes with alone

yeah that is becuase it is my name

on Jul. 8 2010 at 3:29 pm
Arluanna PLATINUM, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

“Mwahahahahaha! Now you are mine, Lesley-Bird, finally, at last, in my... oh, drat, forgot it had wings...”

-Phil, the youngest Kalins Uzin

I like this too. It was sweet and sentimental, reminds me of me. Was it a personal experience? I saw on one of your drawings you signed Maggie M. and the character's name is Maggie M. I like the message this conveys.

on Jul. 8 2010 at 11:38 am
MyConstRuctd_IdentiTy SILVER, Chardon, Ohio

"One heartbeat."

"Our scars remind us of where we've been; they don't dictate where we're going."
-SSA David Rossi, Criminal Minds

Well, no matter what the reason, I'm glad you posted. .smiles.

_Mags_ SILVER said...
on Jul. 7 2010 at 7:30 pm

- I stare danger in the face and giggle
-R.A.P (Retards Attempting Poetry)
-Tip Cologne ryhmes with alone

aw, thank yopu. I mostly posted it up here because of the "Note from the author" thing