the dark spot | Teen Ink

the dark spot

By seven_stones GOLD, Atlantis, Massachusetts
seven_stones GOLD, Atlantis, Massachusetts

America. I think about this place ware I live. I used be proud. The land of the free. But lately I think about my home and I feel shame. In the declaration of Independence we are told that each person has the right to the pursuit of happiness. Well what about the pursuit of love? How is it that our government can deny us this right to love which I always thought everyone received at birth. As a child, I suppose I foolishly believed love was a human right. But no, apparently love is like driving a car. If you are doing it wrong you can have your license taken away. Apparently marriage is an elite club. Who decided that same sex marriage were worse than marriages between men and woman? Who established the hierarchy? Why is it human nature to need to have people below you? To put people in groups? To push them down? As a straight teen, I can assure you that I am no better than any of my gay friends. So it puzzles me that I could marry the love of my life, and they could not. In the face of this injustice I can only say what so many others have said. It is not fair. One day America will look back on this discrimination and cringe at this dark spot on our history. As Americans we must all carry the guilt of what we have done as a nation. We must end it. Before the dark spot gets bigger. Love should not tear us apart. It should bring us together.

we need to stop it! UNJUST. UNFAIR. UNACCEPTABLE.

on Apr. 28 2010 at 5:16 pm
i needed to let this out! IT IS NOT FAIR!