Purple and Zebra Stripes | Teen Ink

Purple and Zebra Stripes

By zobean GOLD, Northfield, Massachusetts
zobean GOLD, Northfield, Massachusetts

"A Good player inspires themselves. A GREAT player inspires others."

Monday: Sadness, sorrow, disbelief, shock...Our halls are filled with dampened happiness from the weekends shocking turnout. The Memoirs decorating the school just make it seep more deeply into our hearts. Photo’s, poster, Japanese memory flags and notes of feelings make us claustrophobic yet happy all at once.

Mackenzie, a senior at our school, died in a car crash on Saturday. She was found brain dead Friday and passed on the following morning. We were all effected with this loss. Mackenzie was kind to all and always had a little spunk in her attitude.

School goes on with a dark cloud over our heads. We all pull through, but on tight strings. We feel as if nothing will be better. The morning drags on and on as if we are being punished with this awful agenda. Middle schoolers are crying on senior shoulders while teachers drift through lessons with wavering voices. Finally, at the end of the day, we trudge to our busses in complete silence. We can’t yet see the light that will soon come...

Tuesday: Text messages and Facebook updates bring a smile to our faces when we awake. Wear purple and zebra print to honor Mackenzie. The gloomy halls lighten up as they are filled with purples and prints. Everyone that has been affected has participated causing a mysterious and surprising connection between us then. We all have become one big family by this one event, connected by loss and love. We are now all together for ever...

Many lives won’t be the same without her here, yet Mackenzie has seemed to bring something good into our now emptier lives. Mackenzie has brought our school together, even now that she has left us. She has inspired and showed us that we can be a terrific team as well as a school. We have proven that we are a great community and that with love and passion we can become more then a school, but a family as well...

If Mackenzie were here today, we all know she would smile as we make a silent web of hope together. Each candle that is lit at her vigil is another light that makes our sun of happiness and hope for a future we can endure along with our loss.

Kenzie, you are loved and missed. We all will never forget you and your purple and zebra stripes. RIP

This is a true event that has effected our school this past January. It really has brought us together. I hope you enjoy my work.