I saw myself | Teen Ink

I saw myself

By fantasyfreak294 BRONZE, Somewhere Cool, Texas
fantasyfreak294 BRONZE, Somewhere Cool, Texas

it's not what you say you do that matters, it's what you show you do.

The hair straightener was more than a hair straightener. It was a CHI special edition hot-pink flat-iron. It was on sale. I'd never been one of those hair-straightening girls before; my idea of a good hair day was when my unmanageable split end-ridden mass was slicked back in a tight bun, which made me look like an old school teacher. But when I saw that CHI, I knew it would change everything. Designer clothes didn't matter, make-up didn't matter, it was that long, luscious, glossy dark hair that made a person popular and pretty. The CHI could change me. Well, my mom ended up buying it for me, and when we took it home and got it set up I practically peed in my pants. I could see my new self already, gorgeous, a model. People who'd once laughed at me would invite me to their parties. I would have a boyfriend. People would envy me, me with the amazing straight hair. I spend two hours in my room straightening my hair. And when I came out, I looked at the mirror, scrutinized the mirror, peered inside the very glass of the mirror- and still, still! The image was the same. I saw myself. Not some spider-legged supermodel with wide eyes. I saw me. I saw a short, stubby girl with very frizzy bad-looking, albeit straight, hair. I took the CHI back that day, because it wasn't what I had really wanted in the first place. I'm fine with curly hair, it's the nose job I really want.

It's important to see yourself as you really are, and accept the facts. Once you do this, you're able to become happy with who you are. If you live in a world of fantasy, you can never face the truth.