That Night | Teen Ink

That Night

December 28, 2009
By Writedancelove&live GOLD, Redding, California
Writedancelove&live GOLD, Redding, California
12 articles 2 photos 66 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
"Karen: If you're from Africa why are you white? Gretchen: Omg Karen, you can't just ask people why they're white."


It was a Saturday night and I was home alone. I know, I’m such a cool teenager. Whatever, it was nice having the house all to myself, until it all happened. It seemed so quick, yet slow all the same. I was just sitting watching TV and I had to pee. That’s when it started. Once I was up to pee I checked my computer; and then I heard it. “Knock knock knock.” It was always three times in a row. I didn’t want to go check it out, what if I got attacked? I knew exactly where it was coming from, the exact spot I just left. Well, the window right next to the exact spot I just left. At first I thought it was just the cat hitting the window like he does all the time, but it was three times, and he never does that. And then I heard it again. This got me crying, no bawling. I didn’t know what to do. I couldn’t go out there, that whole wall is basically made up of windows. You know at night when the lights are only on inside so the windows turn into more of a mirror? Yeah that’s how this was. I was frozen, sitting in my chair in my room, staring out the door, bawling, not moving a muscle. I needed to call someone to come pick me up. But who? My whole family was at the movies, and my crazy parents always make sure their cell phones are completely off while at the movies. Vibrate, or even silent isn’t good enough. My brothers are still too young to have cell phones so that’s not even an option. And then I remembered my sister didn’t go to the movies with them, she went to her best friends house with her boyfriend. I called her and she was kind of mean about it, but she came right over. There was only one problem, her best friend live about 20-25 minutes across town. So I called my sister back and asked if I should just call my best friends mom, who lives less than five minutes away. You know what her answer to that was? “No its okay, I’ll be there soon, in like 15 minutes.” 15 minutes? That’s soon? I could be dead by then! Or kidnapped and on my way to Mexico or something! And then I thought of something so brilliant, I couldn’t believe hadn’t thought of this before, the alarm. I can put in on ‘stay’ so if a door or window is opened it will sound, but if anything inside moves it won’t. So as long as I’m still the only one inside my house I should be fine. And if not at least the alarm will tell the police something’s wrong, and they will come. I feel a little bit safer, and I finally decide to check every hiding spot imaginary in my room, to make sure no one’s in here with me, and close my door. So even if someone is in the house, I’ll hear them if they come to get me. No surprise attacks tonight. After waiting for what seems like forever, I hear a knock on my front door and my sister and her boyfriend yelling my name. I quickly turn off the alarm and open the door. Her boyfriend had a knife out and ready, and searched the whole house, including the back deck where the knocking was coming from. After we decided all was clear we just sat at the kitchen table for a few minutes talking about it before they decided to bring me back to my sisters’ best friends’ house. We sat and talked there for about a half an hour before my family’s movie was out. We met them in town and I went home with them. They were freaking me out so badly. They said I should have called the cops. But what if it was nothing? Then I would feel so stupid and my parents would probably get mad at me. Or maybe they wouldn’t get mad, but they would give me the “you didn’t do anything wrong, but next time…..” I hate that speech. It makes me feel so bad about myself. But whatever. All I cared about now was that I was safe. And although I did have trouble sleeping that night, and I still have trouble sleeping when I think about it, I made it. I'm alive today and I’m happy. The next week I went to dance class and my sisters’ best friend was in one of my classes. She ran up to me asking if I was okay and gave me a hug. At first I wasn’t sure what she was talking about, and then I remembered that little adventure. By that time everyone was staring wondering what happened, so I had to explain it all to them. I don’t really care how many times I have to explain it, I’m just happy that I’m here and able to tell it over and over and over again.