May 1993

Mom:
Kass.
Joey passed away

Kassidy:
what?

Mom:
He died in May of 1993.

Kassidy:
How did he die?

Mom:
car accident

I didn't want to tell you because I didn't want you to think that it always has to end.

----------------------------------

The two of you lived a fairytale growing up. Each of you blossomed into beautiful young adults caring and loving one another. You were his life; he was yours, until that one day that changed everything. You had been told that you were moving half way across the United States, miles from that childhood you so profoundly knew and loved. Life goes on and you toughed it out, each day taking a step forward in the direction of adulthood. You held close that box of memories containing locks of hair, letters, and a Reese wrapper you promised to keep forever. Love made its way to a new life for each of you. But you always will remember your first love. You passed your memories off to me. I lived through your poems, pictures, and stories of Joey. I believed he was out there, loving with the largest heart; the perfect “Joey.”

When you told me, I was crushed. I felt like I had known him just like you had. You’re right; it doesn’t always have to end. Joey did not “end,” he still lives in you and me. He reminds us every day to keep our hopes, dreams, and expectations high.