More than an Adjective | Teen Ink

More than an Adjective

October 14, 2009
By ReneetheGreat PLATINUM, Castle Rock, Colorado
ReneetheGreat PLATINUM, Castle Rock, Colorado
28 articles 3 photos 85 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Strength does not come from physical capacity, but from an indomitable will."


What a Webster's definition fails to tell us is how the experiences we go through will shape and mold our character, how we become who we are by what we choose to face head- on and what we choose to hide behind, or bury deep within the walls of our hearts. What the adjectives that are most commonly used to describe us fail to expose is the epitome of all that it is that defines us- the people we love, the choices we are forced to make, the courage we choose to have, or the fear we choose to harbor within. It is these things that are expressed through our daily actions- the things we say, how we interact with people, the choices we make, and the attitude we face each new day with- we do not because we are nice, shy, or outgoing, but because they are reflections of a deeper definition of what we are made of, the experiences that we have allowed to define who we are. There are times when these things that make up the entirety of us seem to be dangerous, or damaging. It is in these times that we believe that who we are isn't good enough, that we aren't strong enough, or that the pain makes life not worth living. But it is in these moments that we must realize that we cannot change or erase the experiences we go through- they are all a part of God's plan for us and are meant to change us, grow us- but we can change the effect they have on the development of who we become. We all have flaws within ourself that one day we have to face. And although it seems an insurmountable task, think of this- the way we react in a certain situation stems from an experience that you came away with having a specific attitude. When you put a wall around your heart that pushes people away and hurts the people around you, you are letting fear regn in your life that originated in a circumstance in which you were hurt, and can be perceived as something completely differents that leads to a one word Webster's definition of you: mean. But who you are encompasses more than that, and in tracing your reaction to the root of the problem: the expericent that you learned the wrong lesson from, you will discover that it's not about changing who you are, it's taking a second glance at the experience and having the courage to face it with a new perspective. If you change the attitude you have about the experience, you will also find the strength to pick up your hammer and tear down that wall. And in doing so, you will be able to fully experience the power of the love of the people that care about you. Believe in yourself, and the power you possess within. Prove to the world that you are more than an adjective.


The author's comments:
I'm a typical high school student, nothing special here. But I want to discover who I am. Ive been hurt before, and I have problems keeping the people that matter most to me. And I want everyone to be able to believe in themselves and realize that they are more than the stereotypes of high school, more than an adjective.