My lifetime | Teen Ink

My lifetime

October 8, 2009
By Anastasia BRONZE, Saint Louis, Missouri
Anastasia BRONZE, Saint Louis, Missouri
2 articles 1 photo 0 comments

In my lifetime I had many problems, and in my lifetime I have triumphed them all. Coming from a broken home I fee like nothing can break me, I refuse to let anything break me. This quote that I had found I had read repeatedly and analyzed it to the best of my ability. With that I have came to the conclusion that this quote describes me in many different ways. Ways in which I will only begin to explain to you.


“My face is set, my gait is fast. I cannot be bought, comprised, detoured, or delayed...” Nothing can hold me back from what I want to do, nothing at all. I have set goals and I plan to achieve every one of them. To help me get closer to my dreams I surround myself with those who also have dreams - and are working hard to achieve theirs as well.


I don’t think of failure as an option, but in the case that I do fail, it’s nothing but a stepping stone to better things. “...I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, ponder at the pool of popularity or meander in a maze of mediocrity...” When you are really passionate about your dreams, you’ll do whatever it takes to achieve it. You take advantage of every opportunity to work with different people, and you do the right thing regardless of what those around you are doing. You do everything to the best of your ability, and strive for the best each and every time.


“...I won’t give up, shut up, let up, or slow up.”



Those who give up aren’t failures as many may think. They simply don’t have that passion deep in their hearts, they don’t believe in themselves enough, they don’t push themselves to their fullest fulfillment. When you truly have a passion for whatever your goal is, you won’t let anything make you slow down, or change your ways. Nothing.


“My face is set, my gait is fast. I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in a maze of mediocrity. I won’t give up, shut up, let up, or slow up.” R Moorhead



This quote is not only relevant to me, but to the world. It’s relevance is actually mind blowing. It’s relevant to me because I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, or delayed. I refuse to be. People can try, but they will not succeed. There has been many times in my life when I have let people have an influence over me, and I’ve grown from that. So me saying that I’ve never experienced it would be a lie. I have messed up. But, I’ve grown from that. What I can say is that I have grown from all of those experiences, and I am still growing. I’m not the same person I was yesterday, and tomorrow I won’t be the same person I am today. And, I’m proud of that. Relevance to the world? Everyday someone is being influenced and detoured from their passion. Regardless of the reason, it’s happening. That same person is slowing down for someone else’s pleasure, and that person is giving up. If every person in the world could read this quote, and get a complete understanding of it I think that the failure would no longer be an option not only for me but for the rest of the world.


I’ll leave you with this, failure is only an option if you allow it to be. You and I are both changing everyday. Why not change for the better? Don’t let anyone slow you down, shut you up, or make you doubt yourself. Because that my friend, is no way to live nor succeed.

Analysis


What you just read is the essay I wrote for college bound. While writing this essay I found myself, and that’s why I claim this as my personal narrative. This quote is now something that I live by. I plan on using it in my personal statement for my college applications. I found myself while writing this because it holds a lot of my personal truths. Making me come to terms with how I am from a broken home, and how regardless of that I still have a life that I have to succeed in.


The author's comments:
Don't ever give up.