Nature's Treasure | Teen Ink

Nature's Treasure

By 0rogers SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
0rogers SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Gliding through the glassy water on our jet skis, we shatter the silence of the campground. My sister’s sassy commands shoot in one ear and fly right out the other. I focus on the way the crisp morning air flows through my nose and refreshes me with each deep breath. A majestic eagle soars above us and lands on the tip of the tallest tree we can see. I digest the picture of pines painted on the dusky water. I watch that picture wrinkle as we head to the other side of the lake.

Darting past each other with the goal of getting one another wet, our heads slowly shift towards the greying sky. The round clouds casually roll over the tree line. With a storm strolling in, we mosey across the lake to where we began. 

Slipping off of our jet skis, the water provides a warm blanket to our brisk skin. We watch as the pockmarks created by the rain creep closer. As the drizzle moves along, I notice the light taps of the raindrops on our sunburn.

Shivering from the now chilled air, we tip toe out of the water and wrap up in towels. We all snuggle up in front of a small window in our home for the week. We watch in awe as the jagged streaks of electricity split the sky.

As the electric bolts rip through the murky blanket covering the sky above, our bed is gently rocked swaying from side to side. Each strike of lighting shining in the camper, we drift off to sleep to drops of rain dancing on the tarp above. Awakened by the silence, we creep out of our tarpaulin shelter.

Feeling the moist dirt between our toes, we stand puzzled. The treetops block our view of the sky so we head to the beach only to find the treasure nature has left behind for us. My eyes drop open and take in the vibrant colors. We stand in awe hoping to remember this moment of wonder forever.

This piece is about a family camping trip that me and my freind went on together.