Basketball Gradual | Teen Ink

Basketball Gradual

By anonymousNegro8008135 BRONZE, Granite Falls, Washington
anonymousNegro8008135 BRONZE, Granite Falls, Washington

Playing basketball on an actual team. I was joining my first basketball league in the end of the summer of 2015. I was more excited than all the other kids because i was the only one who hasn’t played before, even though i didn’t know the names of each warm-up and what to do for each type of practice i still loved it. Having my own cool shoes, my jersey, and my as i would call it “magic basketball”. I thought that was gonna be the best thing i’d ever do.

We practiced for weeks and then finally… game time. I had my first game the coming weekend and practiced for at least 3 hours a day getting so pumped for it. I got there and heard the loud chatter, the dribbling basketballs, the popcorn popping, and the people yelling. Just to find out i was only playing 30 seconds… of the entire game!

I started to be one of the only 14 teammates that were showing up to games and practices after a few weeks and a few games. So that meant that i would spend no less than 3 minutes playing out on the court during games. I loved it but i didn't feel as needed as the others, so I stopped showing up to some of our games. Then the next weeks practice they read the updated positions out loud. They said, “Aidan Biswell is point guard,” then him saying name trying to figure which one i was, “Aid-den Biz-s-well?”, I went running around shooting the ball like crazy and freaking out. Then for the rest of that season i showed up to every practice, more practicing at home, showed up to every single game. I made it just exactly how i wanted it to be, by working hard every day even when it’s not required.

Now I am working my way up to the top of the team at the big house, the high school I really have to give it 110% because now i have to be explosive. So that the college scouts can notice me and recruit me. I can't even believe that now i’m at the point in my career that colleges can notice me and recruit me.

So just because something that can be thought of as negative, like losing the teammates. Yet the teammates that i had left gave me a time to shine finally. So the things thought to be negative can be seen in a good way for you so would you have wished it didn’t happened or would you be fine since you got everything you wanted out of your basketball career from the free spaces on the court.