Pink Ribbon | Teen Ink

Pink Ribbon

May 24, 2019
By 22pc01 BRONZE, Red Wing, Minnesota
22pc01 BRONZE, Red Wing, Minnesota
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

  “ Welcome back”, the first words that my third-grade teacher said to me. As I walked out of the school after the open house, I can remember a rainbow over the sky. I thought that the world was all sunshine and rainbows. The beginning of third-grade was off to a great start and was all fun and games. That is for a little while, Until the end of November.

That is until my mom’s birthday. On my mom's birthday, she went to the doctor for an annual checkup. She left that day, thinking that she was healthy. Two weeks later, The doctor calls and informs my mom that they have discovered something.  She arrived at the hospital to find out she had breast cancer.

My mom called my sibling and I to our living room. She had a look on her face as pale as snow. She said that she had something to tell us. She opened a book that was titled “What's Wrong With Mom”.  The book pretty much tried to describe what breast cancer was. Unsure and scared is the best way to describe how I was feeling

I had no clue what cancer was, And now it partially controls my life. My Aunt came up to lower Wisconsin to help out our family. The first thing that my aunt said was, "your lucky they caught it this fast " at that time I had no clue what she meant.  

Going to see my mom before chemotherapy, I was confused. When I was talking to my dad, I learned how people die from cancer. My mom had a sixty percent chance of survival. The earlier that doctors catch a disease, the better the chance of survival. As a third grader, I cried. Knowing that this may be the last time I’d see my mom, ever.

My mom was ok in the end. During the time my mom had cancer, I realized multiple things. The first one being, this world isn't all sunshine and rainbows.  Because when I was in third grade, I thought that it was. One of the other things that I found out is that life is very precious. Life can slip through anyone's fingers if they don't squeeze them tight.