Piano | Teen Ink

Piano

By 22ad02 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
22ad02 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Once or twice a week my elementary school class went to music. I was introduced to music by our music teacher, Ms. Zillgitt. She completely changed my outlook on the world. Immediately upon finding out that I could create music with instruments, I wanted to try. Upon arriving home that night, I urgently went running to my mom begging to take music lessons. From then on I started taking lots of piano lessons from Ms. Zillgitt. I fell in love with the piano and it continues to bring me joy. Ms. Zillgitt is a teacher who has impacted my life in many great ways. She introduced me to music, encouraged me to keep playing and composing music, as well as taught me many important life skills.

Ms. Zillgitt introduced me to music. She was my music teacher in elementary school up until I entered third grade. While in her class, I discovered that I really enjoyed playing instruments and singing. Ms. Zillgitt proceeded to become my piano teacher. In first grade, I started taking piano lessons from her. I would come in before school to have my lesson and then go to school as usual. On top of that, she inspired me to be a percussionist. Percussion a variety of instruments, it includes things like the xylophone, marimba, snare drum, and drum set. Percussion is the genre of music that I decided to play in fifth grade. A big piece of my decision was that piano is considered a percussion instrument. Throughout my years of playing percussion, I have learned how to play most of the instruments that we have in our band room including the drum set. I am very thankful for Ms. Zillgitt because she introduced me to music. However, Ms. Zillgitt’s support didn’t just stop there.

Second, Ms. Zillgitt encouraged me to keep playing and composing music. During a lesson one day, she said I could write my own music. Immediately, I wanted to try.  She told me I could write down the notes on the music staff and put the lyrics underneath. I was really starting to make progress in my music when I got the devastating news that she was moving away. Although she didn’t live here anymore, she would still send me pieces of music in the mail. The music progressively got harder so I could still improve my piano technique. Ms. Zillgitt also encouraged me to take piano lessons from a different teacher. I ended up starting to take lessons from Mrs. Peterson. I took lessons from her through 6th grade. I am very glad that Ms. Zillgitt encouraged me to keep playing and composing; otherwise, I wouldn’t be where I am today as a musician. Her impact didn’t stop with just music, it carried into the creation of my self-image.

Lastly, Ms. Zillgitt has taught me many life skills. At first, I didn’t realize she was teaching me anything more than piano, but after a while, I found out she was preparing me for the real world. Ms. Zillgitt brought out my self-perseverance. She always told me to never give up and to just keep trying. She had me practice over and over until I got it right. Overcoming my fears was a struggle for me when I was younger. She gave me ways to help me feel more comfortable. When I was in elementary school I did piano guild. Guild is an opportunity for piano students to have judges listen to them play the piano. The judges then give the pianists pointers on how to improve their piano playing. It was really hard for me at first, and I was incredibly nervous, but Ms. Zillgitt helped me fight through those fears. Ms. Zillgitt helped me to work through hard times. She told me even when things are rough, I just have to keep going and fight through it.

Altogether, Ms. Zillgitt introduced me to music, encouraged me to keep playing and composing, and taught me valuable life skills. I am glad all of these things happened to me just by knowing Ms. Zillgitt. She has impacted my life in so many ways and made me a better person. Ms. Zillgitt completely changed my outlook on the world. I plan on advancing my music skills and stepping boldly into the future.