I hope you're happy, because i'm sure not | Teen Ink

I hope you're happy, because i'm sure not

Dear Dad,

It’s Kay, I know you’re never going to actually see this but, I just wish to say a few things. You’ve never listened when I’ve talked. You yell like there’s no tomorrow when I voice my thoughts and opinions.

The names you call me, hurt so much at times that I just wish to fall to the ground crying. You call me your daughter as if i’m some sort of property that you paid for, and you’re trying so desperately to keep the same. You call me her all the time, why won’t you even try to understand that it is so much more than that. That i’m so much more than that.

I stand in her shadow. You expect me to be just like my older sister, sometimes so much that I don’t think you see that i’m my own person. You yell when ever I mess up on something she wouldn’t. Can’t you see it, i’m not, nor have I ever been, or will be, her. I am my own person, please just see that.

You expect me to know what I want to do. Dad, sometimes I don’t even understand myself, much less think about that. I’m too stressed to think properly sometimes, Dad. Things have changed, they’re not what they used to be, it’s not carefree anymore.

Sometimes I think that you worry that I am lazy, no, I just can’t stand the thought of getting up, because any other time I’ve tried to, you push me back down.

In other words, while people say I have to love you because you are my dad, I say no. I hate you. I hate you so much that I don’t even know how to properly write about how much I hate you. I know I shouldn’t spread hate around, but I say with so much confidence, I hate you.

Your Nonbinary child,       

Kay

This is a letter to my dad, he'll never see, but it's a letter to him.