Hope, Strength, & Honor | Teen Ink

Hope, Strength, & Honor

By ashleyarneson GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
ashleyarneson GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

I was 13 years when I had the opportunity to travel to Washington D.C with my middle school classmates. Allowing me to learn what hope, honor, and strength means.

Hope—a desire for a certain action to happen. My classmates and my first destination was the Arlington National Cemetery. We wandered through the cemetery, gazing at the hundred of thousands of tombstones.  Not a word slipped from our mouths—nothing. Peering down the rows me made reflect on how previous soldiers hoped of getting off an airplane and run into their families warm hearts.

Strength—a quality or state of being strong. We traveled to the next destination: The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. My classmates and I stared at the the one, lonely soldier pacing in a straight line across the black strip that was perpendicular to the masterpiece. Peering into the eyes of that soldier me made reflect on how strong men and women are, both physically and mentally.

Honor—a respect and privilege. The last destination was the Korean War Veterans Memorial. Walking between the solid men, rummaging through the thousands of names plastered on the glossy walls. Peering into the cement men made me reflect on how honored I am of these men, who died in which I was gifted life.

Hope, strength, and honor is something special. I am a lucky girl. A lucky student. A lucky citizen. The people who perished, died for the opportunity to be free. These soldiers kill the people they have bonded with, survive from gunshots, and die for our freedom. These men and women hope future generations would get the opportunity they solemnly had. Life is a privilege and the freedom of speech is a gift, we all hope to have.