Freedom to Disagree | Teen Ink

Freedom to Disagree

November 13, 2018
By outdoorkid SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
outdoorkid SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Speaking against the government and voicing your opinion are both reasons why people come to the United States of America. Americans have the ability to do things many other countries punish people for doing.


Speaking out against the government. If I disagree with the current administration, I can talk about it and not suffer consequences. If I disagree with a decision made, I can disagree with it and not suffer consequences. If I think something should be done differently, I can talk about how I think it should be done and not have to deal with any repercussions. If I were to disagree with the government in a country like North Korea, I would suspiciously disappear forever.


Voicing my opinion. If I want to talk about religion, I have the freedom to do so. If I want to protest and show my stance on a certain issue, I have the freedom to do so. If I just want to speak out about how I feel about politics, I have the freedom to do so. If I were to do these things in a country like Russia or Syria, I would go to jail.


Speaking out against the government and being able to voice my opinion are benefits of the United States of America and freedom of speech. Americans are incredibly lucky because not only do we have the right to free speech, but we also have people fighting every day to protect and defend our right.