Call of the Loon | Teen Ink

Call of the Loon

By wolf115 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
wolf115 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

Water laps softly against my blue kayak as I paddle away from the shore. Glancing back, I can barely see the camper through the forest.

“Come on!” My sister is ahead of me in her red kayak. “Let’s go by the birch trees Grandma was talking about!”

Our grandma nods in agreement, leading the way in her yellow kayak. “Look for fish, too.”

We glide over the water, breaking the glass-like surface with our orange paddles, leaving a small wake. Looking up, I notice how the tall, green trees reflect off the water. It is simply stunning. A breeze pushes us along the lake, lifting my hair off my shoulders.

As we reach the other side, I stop paddling to take in the sight. In the forest of green are a few birch trees. Brilliant white bark shines brightly. It paints a perfect picture on the water–until the wind snatches away the ink from the canvas, leaving only the memory in my mind.

“Hey, look. There’s the loon.” My sister is looking at a small black dot sitting on the water.

“Oh, cool!” I say. “Let’s go over to the other side.”

We paddle along the shore, looking for fish. The water is like ice, perfectly clear.

“There’s one!” Grandma points to the water.

“I see it!”

There are a few fish around plants and under our boats. I study them, noticing how their bodies bend and weave in order for them to swim. The sun glistens off their smooth scales.

“Oh, hey. There’s the loon again.” I spot it closer to us just before it dives under the water.

We continue paddling, enjoying the soft breeze, the smell of the water, and the calming silence.

A small splash catches my attention. My sister gasps. There, just a few feet away, sits the loon.

We are stunned into silence as it shakes water off its head. It has beautiful white spots along its black wings. Its neck is striped black and white, like a zebra. Red eyes stand out against the deep black color of its head.

It dives back under the water, disappearing as quickly as it had arrived.

“Wow.” I breathe. “I’ve never seen a loon that close before. It’s so majestic.”

We head back to the campsite, still in awe. The green trees sway in the breeze. My blue kayak breaks the picturesque surface of the water. And the loon calls out, echoing across the lake.

This piece is about my favorite part of my most recent camping trip to the Northern Highland-American Legion State Forest in Wisconsin.