Duck...Duck...GOOSE! | Teen Ink

Duck...Duck...GOOSE!

October 28, 2018
By Samantha22 BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky
Samantha22 BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I got out of the front sit of my mom’s car and felt the chill breeze hit my face, I saw the goose sitting on the vegetated island in the Target parking lot. As my made her way out of the car, I was fascinated by the big bird with a long snake like neck. I looked around the deserted parking lot looking for other people. The sun was warming my face, while the cool breeze of Fall cooled it down.

 “Come on Sam!” My mother yelled back at me.

“I’m coming mom!” She kept walking towards the Target entrance and I ran over to the fluffy, feathery goose. The goose had a round body with a tall neck. Its beak was scratched up and its eyes looked black, with no emotion.

 “Hey there goosey, whatcha doing? I will be back soon….!”

“HONK!” exclaimed the goose.

“ Hissssss… to you too,” I said back to the goose.

“Come on Sam!!” My mother yelled.

 “Coming!” I raced across the parking lot to catch up to her and leaped over all the big red balls at the entrance of Target.

“I wouldn’t get to close to that goose, Samantha. They are mean animals.”

“It’s fine mom, I wasn’t even that close.”

While we were entering the store, I turned back and took another glance at the goose. The goose was fair off, looking small and harmless. I will say good bye to the goose when we are leaving and show my mom it is a nice goose.

It felt like the world was moving in slow motion, my mom was taking forever to pick out clothes that she wanted. We needed to hurry up, so I can go see the goose, before it leaves.

 “Hurry up mom! Can we leave yet!”

            “You can just hold on for one more minute, it won’t take long,” clamed my mom. I walked around through the rows of colored clothes, Trying on hats and knick-knack I was interested in.

“Hey mom could I get this?”  “No.”

“Could I get this?” “No!”

“Can I PLEASE get this?” "NO!”

“The more you ask me for stuff, the more I will say no,” exclaimed my mother

I marched off into another row of clothes and pouted.

     Finally, we made our way to the checkout area. The checkout lady was moving at a glacier pace. Slowly typing in the numbers. Taking off the hangers and putting the them in bins. Taking and putting each piece of clothing in one by one into bags.  Come on! Come on!

 “That will be twenty-two dollars and fifty-two cents. Credit or debit?” said the checkout lady.

“Credit,” said my mom. The lady slowly slid the card, pulled the receipt off the machine, and put it in the bag. She handed the card to my mom and the bags to me.

“Have a great day,” said the checkout lady. I started pulling my mom towards the door and turned around to say, “You too!”

As the sun and cool breeze of Fall hit us on our way out, I started to sprint. Go! Go! Go! Faster! Faster! Faster, almost there! I ran all the way to the car, then stopped. I turned around to see where my mom was. She’s not even half way here!

 “Come on Mom.” She gave me a nasty glare.

Oh my gosh, What are you doing! When she got to the car, she unlocked the doors. I swung the door open and flung the bags in. As my mom was trying to find her sunglasses, I went over to see my little feathery friend.  

“Hey… I’m back. Hi, there little goose.” I should reach out and pet you. As I reach out to pet the goose’s knobby head, it honked.

“HONK!” I flinched back.

“Hey, that wasn’t very nice. You big meany.”

While the goose was calming down, I observed its surroundings. The goose was in the poking pine needle bush, sitting on what looked like a nest. I moved closer for a better look at the nest. I think it was sitting on an egg? Is it an egg, do they even lay eggs? As I was thinking about if it laid eggs or not, I heard a noise.

I shook out of my reverie. “What?”

 “Watch out,” my mom said. I turned and looked at her.

“I’m not even in the street mom!” I looked down and stepped more on to the island and looked around for cars.

“There aren’t even any cars!”

I went back to trying to pet the goose, and I started to hear a very deep hissing sound coming from its throat. Its mouth was opened, and I could see its little pointy teeth all lined in a row and its tongue was sticking out at me. What a mean goose, gosh. I only want to pet you.

 “Watch out,” said my mom again, this time a little more urgent.

“What mom, there is nothing around?”

“Look up!” exclaimed my mom.

“What?” What is she talking about? I looked up. A terrifying look took over my face. A giant, mad goose was diving straight for me.

     My mind started to race. Ahhh what do I do, help me! Run Sam Run!  I tried to start running, but I tripped over the curb. I went crashing down on to the pavement. I wasn’t feeling anything at that point, I was just trying to get away from that goose. Right when I landed on the pavement, I scrambled to my feet and took off towards to car. I was running, and I was screaming my heart out.

 “MOM! MOM! HELP ME!”

The car felt like it was miles away, my feet were moving fast and my arms pumping as quickly as I could make them. Everything was moving so fast, that I couldn’t focus. I looked up, and thankfully the car door was still open from where I threw the bags in. When I was a couple feet away, I dove. I soared in the air and landed in the back seat of the car. I quickly got up and slammed the door shut. I looked out the window and saw the goose charging the car.

“DRIVE MOM, GO! GO! GO!”

My mom didn’t start the car, she was too busy laughing. The keys fell out of her hands, down in between the seats. I looked again at the goose, that was about to hit the car.

“MY WINDOW IS DOWN!!!”

 I yelled at my mom, “START THE CAR MOM, ROLL UP THE WINDOW, HURRY UP. MOM!”

 At the last second, the window was rolled up, and the goose hit the car with a thump.

I looked out the window trying to catch my breath, the goose had its wings spread out. It was hissing and showing its teeth. I was breathing heavy; my heart was about to pound out of my chest. I started to feel pain in my arm from when I fell off the curb and pain in my legs from running. I felt my throat become tight, and I started to cry. At that point the goose started to walk away back to the other goose on the island and we began to drive away.

 I started to calm down when my mom said, still laughing, “I told you not to mess with the goose.”


The author's comments:

I was about 9 or 10 when this took place. It has haunted me for many years. Every time I see a goose I tense up a little.