Things (and people) Change | Teen Ink

Things (and people) Change

October 18, 2018
By Graceru12 BRONZE, Monroe, Michigan
Graceru12 BRONZE, Monroe, Michigan
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

*All names have been changed* 

Ollie promised me many things throughout the past year. We became friends through a mutual friend. I thought he would just be a friend of mine, nothing more and nothing less. 

I was wrong. We began to text back and forth. At first, it was all harmless fun and getting to know each other. I soon learned many things about him. He liked fishing, archery, and fixing up old cars. I told him I liked reading, listening to music, and watching my little brother. Those were just the basics. Time passed and conversations got deeper and deeper. We got close, and both him and I revealed things about ourselves that only a few people knew. He got to know a plethora of personal things about me. 

We would accidentally stay up till 12:00 am on school nights just talking to each other about random things. I grew to like him, and he grew to like me. We became such good friends and talked about hanging out. We were going to go fishing, to the drive-in, and to one of our houses. I had been so excited to hang out with and talk to this guy who I'd grown to like so much.

However, things changed and we never did any of the things we planned. One of the first problems was a girl he decided to talk to. We'll call her Lucy. He was talking to me when he started to become close to this girl. One night, she texted me and told me to stay away from Ollie or she would fight me. I became angry at him because he let this happen. That was the straw that broke the camels back. Everything went downhill after that one incident. 

Nasty fights broke out between us. He hated me and I hated him. For a long while. Now, 4 months later, I no longer hate him. I went through stages where I missed him so much. I missed how we talked and I just missed always having him there. I now realize it was probably for the better that we quit talking. 

I do miss him still. I miss him a lot sometimes, actually. I regret that we stopped talking. At the same time, however, I am no longer missing him, nor do I regret that we stopped talking. He has a girlfriend now, and I am truly happy for him. It's good to see him happy. 

What I learned from this experience was that people change, and things change. Sometimes it is for the better. 


The author's comments:

A sort of heartbreak I went through during this past year.