Scout Strong Bracelet | Teen Ink

Scout Strong Bracelet

January 25th: the worst day of my life. My family grew up on Samaria Road we moved when I was 3 and we became best friends with my neighbors instantly. We considered each other a combined family. We went through life's ups and downs together.  Some battles we faced were the loss of our pets, and a few injuries from climbing trees but nothing compared to this. My oldest neighbor was diagnosed with cancer. Jonathan Scout had been fighting his battle for over a year. He had been diagnosed with brain cancer. He fought hard but lost his battle on that day. I remember that day like it was yesterday.  It started as any other day would. I rolled out of bed, threw some clothes on and went to school. I went through my usual day and came home. I then learned the harsh news. He was not doing well, and that I needed to walk over immediately. My heart dropped.

I walk into my neighbor's house. The door creaks as I come in. I don't smell the usual brownies or cookies like I smelt everyday as a child. I don't hear the yelling or laughing of my younger neighbors Jacob and Justin. I could just hear the dead silence of the room I was walking into. I see jonathan in the hospital bed before me, he looks pale. He could not see me, or react to my presence but I know he knows I was there. I grabbed his cold hand and just held it. I then release my grip and head over to my second mom and dad. They are not blood related to me but the way I grew up, they were my family. I hug them and do not even know where to begin conversation. So I just don't let go, and neither do they. For once in my life, I was silent.

Jonathan had blonde hair and blue eyes. He had the biggest smile. He was on the Bedford varsity football team. He was a senior in highschool with many hopes and dreams for his future. Then with cancer he lost his beautiful blonde hair, his blue eyes were covered by the droup of exhaustion, but one thing that never changed was his smile. He never failed to have a positive attitude and never failed to make us laugh. He passed away his senior year but still got the opportunity to graduate high school. Even though his life was cut short, he managed to live his life to the fullest everyday.

Everyday in his memory I wear my Scout strong bracelet. It's a red rubber bracelet that in all capital letters says “SCOUT STRONG” with a muscle in white ink. I wear this bracelet not only a daily remembrance of such a an important figure in my life, but as a reminder that even in your hardest moments you know you have someone looking down on you. Jonathan Ross Scout taught me that in life there are battles and hardships but no matter how hard life gets, you need to be positive and just know there is a plan for you. In loving memory of Jonathan I wear this bracelet everyday, and I will for the rest of my life.

This piece was wrote in my english class for a project and I decided to share on here.