The Snow War | Teen Ink

The Snow War

By Chloec10 BRONZE, Lambertville, Michigan
Chloec10 BRONZE, Lambertville, Michigan

A wave of nostalgia washes over me as I remember the brisk winter breeze making it feel unbearable outside. I'm sure you, too, hold this fond memory of a cold snowy winter day, as well as I do. Enjoy stepping back in time with me, as I reminisce. We are bundled up like Eskimos on the coldest winter day. We trudge through the snow laughing and smiling; our youthful bodies glide on the ice. Suddenly, I feel two hands pressed against my puffy winter coat, as a gentle push sends me plummeting face first into the frigid snow. I feel the ice send a shock through my veins, as my face starts to heat up, I realize the snow war has begun .   
Balls of snow rapidly fall from the brown roofed house, hitting the washed deck one by one. I take big strides down the snow covered steps, hearing my boots squeak against my large snow pants with every step I take. As I mosey through the piles of the whitest snow I catch a glimpse of what once was green grass. I frown, realizing that I have to wait to see the sparkling grass again. In the distance, sun flowers that had once been perky, are now slumped over with sadness as they take their last breaths of life.
As you stand firm in the snow, the facade you’re putting up makes you seem mean. However, your contagious smile and sparkling eyes tell a different story. We dance around through the snow laughing until, once again, I feel those two hands press against my coat causing me to fall face first.  You chuckle because as I stand up in anger you know the war is on and you believe you’re going to win .
I pat together a ginormous snowball, cock my arm back and send a bullet flying through the air. The ice cold truth that two can play at this game hits you squarely between your shoulders.  My laughter fills the bitter cold air as you turn to face the challenge. We continue our antics and finally call a truce. We retreat indoors to the warm comfort of the fireplace where we enjoy our hot chocolate, and join in laughter, once again, reliving those snowball moments.

The piece is written about a fond memory I have of a snow fight.