A Lesson Learned | Teen Ink

A Lesson Learned

By maclay17 GOLD, Goodyear, Arizona
maclay17 GOLD, Goodyear, Arizona
15 articles 1 photo 1 comment

"Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today." - Malcom X

“Wake up! Wake up!” my aunt screamed shaking me awake.

I leaped out of bed full of energy as I had woken up in anticipation over half an hour earlier. Was it time? Was it finally here? My eager seven-year-old eyes widened with excitement.

It had been a year since I desperately asked my parents for it; some kids at school had one, and I was extremely jealous. Please, mom? Please, dad? I begged. I will love it and take care of it. Not only that, but I will play with it and take it everywhere I go, I promise. They smiled gently at one another delighted by my sincere desire, and finally said that one magic word: yes.

It would be there any minute and I could barely contain my urging elation. Suddenly, I heard the familiar whirl of the garage door opening and squealed with joy. I stood at the bottom of the stairs observing the door intensely. Then it opened!

I let out a screech of glee, but it ended almost immediately. My father stood staring at me from his soaring height of 6’2 with his large hands on the bars of my mother’s wheelchair which she now sat in. I looked upon my mom’s arms, but there was nothing there. Was it invisible? “Where is my present?” I asked confused. Was this a joke? My clever father enjoyed performing pranks and acting silly, but usually he laughed or held back a smile. My mom nodded at my father as he said “Here it is”. I had been so distracted by the empty air on my mother’s lap that I had not noticed the sky blue leash that lay between my father’s fingers. Then it appeared; my gift, but wait, that was not what I had asked for. In the doorway, stood a wee little puppy with chocolate brown eyes.

“What is that?” I demanded pointing at the animal.

“This is your present.” my parents said in unison.

“But….but I wanted a baby.” I sobbed.

Again, my mom exchanged glances with my dad and then muttered “They were out of those so we got you this instead.”

“I….I do not know what to say.” I blubbered.

“We were going to get you a little brother, but we thought a little dog would be even better!” my dad exclaimed trying to cheer me up.

After about an hour of doing what seven year old’s do best (wailing and whining), I finally accepted the situation. After all, now I owned the cutest beagle ever! In the following days, I began to treat her as if she was my sibling: I named her Lily, gave her a bath and my favorite part was cuddling with her.

***

One day, a few years later, my parents came and spoke to me about the day I received my gift. My mom said she had delivered the baby in the hospital, but there were breathing complications as my little brother was a preterm birth by two months. He had passed away almost immediately after entering the world. Obviously, they were devastated as they had promised me, but they could not bare to tell me. I am thankful for their generosity and love. It taught me a significant lesson: be grateful for what you have even if it is not what you asked for.