Where am I going with my life? | Teen Ink

Where am I going with my life?

It was months ago when I had this bitter realization. The feeling was like a huge slap on my face when the thought just dawned on me out of the blue while I was doing homework. This homework was like any other homework who was just given to us probably just to make our lives harder. The objective was to draw or create a picture in anyway creative as possible on how we see ourselves specifically in five, ten then twenty years later. “Sounds easy enough” I muttered to myself when the mechanics of the assignment were explained to us. By the time we were dismissed from class, I rushed home immediately just to get a head start and probably finished it before the deadline. 

Brain storming, coloring and drawing furiously with the utmost dedication just to get an appealing finished work was hard labor. Especially realizing the fact that it is a performance task that is crucial on getting a passing grade in our report card. Of course, this didn’t bother me at all. However, by the time I’ve finished the five years part of the assignment I began to think of whether the things I’ve drawn there would come true in five years’ time. Eventually, I ran out of ideas in the part of ten years. My mind was completely blank, despite of my persistence to think of more ideas to put on. Here did I feel the tipping point of my realization. It was shocking to me at first for all I thought, I already know what I want to do with my life. Since my “so - called plans” weren’t going to reach the age of forty, I began to ponder for the very first time with the question of “where am I going with my life?” 

It was a daunting question especially to a seventeen - year old boy who thought the world revolves around him. Despite of my ineptitude to answer this question honestly even to myself, I realized how much I am so wrong with my certainty of thinking I’ve already planned everything for my life. 

I didn’t finish the assignment that day, although I managed to submit it just in time with a little mental exertion regarding the last two parts of the assignment which I’ve already mentioned. Nevertheless, despite of my ambiguity regarding what the future has in store of me, I am absolutely positive that whatever I find along the road, it’s going to be good.

I would like to dedicate this piece of work to my family and friends who helped and supported me along the way with my passion for writing. Thank you so much you guys!