The New Artist

When I was nine years old, I began my career as an artist. In the past six years, I have discovered being an artist is something anyone can do. It is all about learning what you love to do and creating your artwork your own way.
It all began when I asked for paints for my 10th birthday, which was when I discovered my love for art. My mom and dad bought acrylic paints, canvases and brushes for me as a present and then further surprised me with turning part of my bedroom into a mini art studio. At first I was not sure where to begin. Painting seemed so complicated. Up until this time, I only painted with paint by number sets. I tried a few times to paint pictures that I thought looked good. But, I was not satisfied with my pictures. They did not look nice. I kept getting very frustrated, but I decided to keep trying because I enjoyed painting. I discovered that painting relaxed me. I looked through books for ideas of what to paint and found something to try. It was a sunflower in a field. I decided to focus in on the sunflower. Two weeks later, after several times of sitting down and working on my painting, I decided I was close to done. My grandma, who also painted, helped me with ideas for the painting. One of the things she said was “do swish marks like here…Yeah, that is right, just like that,” my grandma said as she sat down. Soon, my painting was perfect. I had my first piece of work I was happy with.

MCurcuri said...
today at 2:23 pm
I made changes to the original submission

MCurcuri replied...
today at 2:26 pm
this is the new edit Michael Curcuri Personal narrative assignment Joan Shorter 10/26/2017 Experience As A New Artist When I was nine years old, I began my career as an artist. In the past six years, I have discovered being an artist is something anyone can do. It is all about learning what you love to do and creating your artwork your own way. It all began when I asked for paints for my 10th birthday, which was when I discovered my love for art. My mom and dad bought acrylic paints, canvases a... (more »)