An Unlikely Refuge: Target | Teen Ink

An Unlikely Refuge: Target

January 7, 2017
By chpuckett17 BRONZE, Maple Plain, Minnesota
chpuckett17 BRONZE, Maple Plain, Minnesota
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As the sliding doors part in front of me and I walk into the large rectangular space donned with red and white decorations, I breathe slower, my heart rate goes down, and I relax into the casual routine of exploring my kingdom. This magnificent castle of new opportunity and calmness is going to Target where I can walk, people-watch, and relax away from my to-do lists.
     

Strolling through aisles of t-shirts and sweaters usually in the same colors and patterns, I feel at home amongst the cotton army. At the shoe aisles, I look at the seasonal variation of sandals, boots, heels, and tennis shoes. Wholly dependent on the ever changing Minnesota weather, the shoe aisles are often a marker of time passed. I walk through rows of different flip flop variations only to see next few months bring boots to replace them. I could wonder the home improvement and office supplies departments forever--feeling the new carpets that came in, looking at the decorative pillows that reflect the next holiday season that feels so far away, gazing longingly at the organizational systems that are screaming for me to bring them home. I bask in my own unfettered joy of organizing.
     

When I was a child I would always sneak a pen or two into the basket, my own souvenir of being dragged to Target by my mother. Now, I often go just to simply wonder; rarely is it about going to buy things and more about the ability to have unscheduled time to walk and discover. Sometimes I go months without a good “Target run” due to my over scheduled time with the newspaper, AP Euro, and my job at the barn. When I’m too busy, I’ll drive by the exit that takes me to Target and dream about the ability to just pause. It’s a simple pleasure to be able to go there by myself and explore, and I have learned to love the time to revel in my solitude.
     

It might not be something I talk about with my friends or name as one of my favorite activities, but those walks invite a sense of calm and wonder into my life when I might be running around all day trying to check things off my lists. Target is home to boundless adventure, and those 20 minute trips are often the highlight of any day, allowing me to think clearly and focus on the task at hand. Whenever life gets out of control, I know I’ll be able to return to this kingdom of curiosity if even for a few moments.


The author's comments:

As someone who grew up in the midwest, Targets are at almost every exit. I loved going as a kid and the joy that comes from adventuring around the store stuck with me. I hope that others can relate to the ability to enjoy unscheduled time in an only mildly shameful activity.